No announcement yet.

Kipto, CBBT Bull Reds Sun/Mon 12-13 Oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 to 1.5 oz bucktail is pretty good at cbbt and lesner actually. I only go up to 2oz when the current is really ripping, but definitely been times when 3 oz is needed.

Thanks for the info on the baitcasters guys. My friend said he has had his curado for about 10 years and loves it, but he heard the newer ones are not built as well and he just bought a calcutta. I would love one of those, but even the curado is a little out of my budget for a little while. I may check out the pflueger supreme sometime soon.

Planning on heading down there Fri. Let me know if anybody else plans on going. Forecast looks similar to last weekend, just slightly better. Hoping there are still some flounder hanging around and going to hit hrbt at night to see if the striper action is picking up yet.
    Last edited by JohnE; 10-15-2014, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Killin me!!! Now i'm thinking about another suicide trip on friday...
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Joe you should of told me. I got some 2oz bucktails from ebay for $2 each!. I made a deal with the seller to ship 20 for $6.

I find you need at least 2 oz when the tides move to keep it somewhat straight down.

Comment

I usually catch them out there just before the current starts ripping or just before it dies down and 1 to 1.5 oz is usually pretty good depending on the conditions. But yeah 2 or even sometimes 3 if you are trying to fish when it is ripping.

I have been getting spros off amazon for as cheap as $2.50 lately with free shipping. I must have 20 or 30 spros in all different sizes now. Been thinking about getting the stuff to start tying them myself. You can get spro copy super minnow jig heads and other materials pretty cheap.

Comment

John,
            I think you have "spro-like" bucktails, not the authentic Spro lures.

I use 1 - 2 oz too, depending on current.

Those $1 bucktails from the fishing flea markets work, but I'm not a fan of them. The bucktail hair comes off easily, so it doesn't last long. The paint also chips off easily.

I like Spro bucktails, but they're about $3-4 each.

I found these "spro like" bucktails for about $2.20 each shipped. They are very good: bucktail hair that stays on, hair that doesn't stain easily, paint that doesn't chip easily, and hooks that are sharp. I can use the lure on several trips. For the price, they are the best I've used. Bought them off eBay from a guy name Ted in Chesapeake Beach. Pictured are my Ted bucktails: 1 oz spro-like and 1.5 oz popeye lures.
            Attached Files
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

No, I have a whole bunch of authentic spros. You have to sort through colors and sizes, but I got quite a few lately for $2.50 to $3.50 each off amazon and free shipping with my amazon prime. The only ones I got lately that were over $3.50 were the big 3oz. Dick's also had bogo on them late last year...maybe they will do it again. I also have a bunch of other style bucktails, but I really like spro.

Here are some spro copies on ebay though:
              http://m.ebay.com/itm/161439186184?nav=SEARCH
              Last edited by JohnE; 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                Joe you should of told me. I got some 2oz bucktails from ebay for $2 each!. I made a deal with the seller to ship 20 for $6.

I find you need at least 2 oz when the tides move to keep it somewhat straight down.
                Dave,
                Order sixty 2oz (white only) for me if you can. That will save me valuable time for preparing tackles.

joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

John,
                  Those are pretty good prices on the real Spros. But the copies are cheaper and work very well.

Dave,
                  20 x 2 = $40, not $6. Hey, I want 20 too for $6...lol..

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    John,
                    Those are pretty good prices on the real Spros. But the copies are cheaper and work very well.

Dave,
                    20 x 2 = $40, not $6. Hey, I want 20 too for $6...lol..
                    The copies I have seen that look very close to real spros are not all that much cheaper than some of the prices I found on amazon, but amazon is hit or miss if you want a certain color. I think the cheapest they had white 2 oz spros was like $8...amazon prices are all over the place.

I might order some of the spro copies in white, but I wanted them quick last couple times I ordered and my free two day shipping made up for the extra cost a little bit, in my mind anyway. The best deal I ever saw on authentic spros was at Dick's when they had buy one get one free around black friday last year I believe...hoping they do it again this year and I will buy enough to last a few years.

Comment

20 2oz jigs shipped for $6. basically they use the USPS box shipping where you can fit as many as you can. The price of the of the jigs were $2 each. It comes out to be about the same as your deal but it's shipped to my door

Comment

Sounds like everybody is stocking up on bucktails...I want to go use some of mine now. I am most likely heading down tomorrow night and will fish the area all weekend. Let me know if any of you guys plan on heading down that way. Will most likely be out at cbbt Fri.

I just remembered I found this guy's stuff on ebay a while back, but got impatient and ordered on amazon instead. The bucktails look really good, free shipping, and he is a local VA guy. I am about to order some of his to try. His prices are awesome: http://stores.ebay.com/Ambroses-Odds...p2047675.l2563
                        Last edited by JohnE; 10-15-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

John,
                          I am planning to fish on Sat at CBBT. I recognized yesterday that I can't fish on Oct 25 and Nov 1 weekends back to back, due to my wife's B day and cleaning up after a Halloween party. So, I will be fishing in VA beach area this Sat rain or shine. I will bring light tackles for specks and puppies in case of the strong wind. I sent you a PM with my phone number.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I am going to pull another fishathon this weekend...pretty much if I am not sleeping, eating, or driving, I will be in the outback fishing the entire weekend. Joe, I will send you my number also. Targeting stripers (primarily at night), flounder if water is not too dirty, specks and pups, and I may try for tog. No rain in forecast, but the wind will be sending me into my more wind protected spots after tomorrow.

-Looks like I may try to get out to cbbt very early Sat also, but will likely need to head on back and move on to another spot by 11 am.
                            Last edited by JohnE; 10-16-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Forecast looks like it might be doable at CBBT. I always think about how bad the surf will be for the launch. I may see you guys on the water Sat am.

John,
                              That's the guy (Ted) I buy my bucktails from. I'm sold on his lures.

Comment

Launching won't be hard as long as westerly wind. Moving to another spot around 11:00 is a good option. I will bring two sets of tackles.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X