Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto, CBBT Bull Reds Sun/Mon 12-13 Oct

Kipto Sun

Was on the water about noon. Target was flounder, so I spent nearly all my time jigging with a white bucktail. Nothing. The water was 60 deg, so I fished for togs for a little while. Nothing. I did catch a few pigfish, toads and sea bass.

CBBT Mon 10-13-14

The surf wasn’t too bad, so I launched at CBBT and was on the water at 7 am

I was looking for flounder so I jigged a white bucktail and plastic worm tandem rig. Jigged piling after piling for flounder, but I got only three big hook ups. They were those pesky red bulls. They kept ripping off my rigs. I wanted flounder.

Dave, I think it was those bulls you hooked up with because those suckers were smart. They dove deep and went for the pilings. Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, then each eventually came off. It was fun, but disappointing to lose my bucktails.

I wanted flounder.

It was after 11 am, and I dropped the rig down the piling between the 1st SBC and the 5-piling set. Felt the pull, and I set the hook. Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It went for the piling, again.

“Oh no, I’m going to lose this fish…..again”

At one point I was between pilings. The rod was bent over. The waves were pushing me against the piling. The fish was pulling hard. With my left hand I pulled the paddle out to push away from the piling. I thought, “Oh no, I’m going to lose this fish….no way I’m going to get out of this mess.”
    I managed to get out of the pilings with the fish still on, and no broken line. Somehow it went on the other side of the pilings, and I followed. It went out away from the pilings, and I felt relieved. It then dove deep.

They were three anglers on a boat about 50 yds away, and they saw my bent over rod and frantic reeling. They came closer to watch.

The fish made a 180 and pulled toward the rear of the yak. My right arm was outstretched. I immediate lowered the rod and hit the spool release to give it line. I then pumped the mirage hard and made a 180. The yak was lined up with the fish, so I then clicked the reel to resume drag. I started reeling up.

After 15-20 minutes of a dang good fight, I had it yak side. The boaters came by and gawked at how big the fish was. The teen angler kept saying, “Boy, that’s huge.” It measured about 45 inches.

I asked them, and the angler’s son took my pic.

No flounder, but I still had an awesome catch. It was my new Outback’s first trip to CBBT, and it did well.

BTW, tried my new Pflueger Supreme XT (only 6.5 oz), and with 30# braid, it held out pretty well.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Wow
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice job!

Yea I know it was the bulls when I hooked into them number of times. Just didn't work out getting them to surface but no doubt what they were.

I think at this time, if you want flounder go Kipto. I have a hunch where they are

Comment

Wow, that is a nice catch to break in the new Outback. Disappointed to hear about the flounder, I am still hoping to catch some more. Definitely trying to head that way this weekend...long term forecast not looking too bad. I stayed closer to home this weekend to save on gas and got into some stripers and catfish.

Comment

Awesome job! Still got the fever?

Mobile

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Fantastic catch and report!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks, guys. As yak angler Kevin says, "Go get'um."

Dave,
              Yeah, the three that broke off never surfaced, but I know they were bulls. If you're referring to the trough at the Kipto wrecks, I tried it. Back and forth several times. I jigged for flounder around the wrecks, on the outflow between wreaks, along the beach, and along the nets. Nothing.

Goody,
              My fever was a bit down, and that's why I went after flounder. Now the fever is back...lol....

Comment

Wow you landed 42 and 45 inchers this fall on buck tails. That is awesome. You re-confirmed that white buck tails are the tickets for bull reds. Dave, you and I hooked at least 15 bull reds this fall on white buck tails that we've been using for flounder.

The Pflueger Supreme XT will be fine. I've been abusing a Pflueger Supreme for two years, and the reel has been OK.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I was surprised to find out over the weekend that white bucktails work on catfish also, but I guess they eat anything.

So, you guys like that pflueger supreme baitcaster a lot? I was thinking about getting a curado, but I may consider one of those pfluegers.

Comment

You have to find the clear water to find flounder. It may be still dirty from all the rain though. I never caught anything from the beach area except for reds and trash fish.

Did you try flounder alley? It's usually clear water there and awesome on the outgoing.

Comment

WTG Tufnik!!! That thing is a beast!

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post

I was looking for flounder so I jigged a white bucktail and plastic worm tandem rig. Jigged piling after piling for flounder, but I got only three big hook ups. They were those pesky red bulls. They kept ripping off my rigs. I wanted flounder.
                        That cracked me up! It's funny how when you really want to catch one species, the other stuff because pesky... LOL

Awesome catch bro! Yeah Sunday and Monday's weather were significantly better, but I only had the pass for Friday through Sunday morning... We did however have an awesome time chasing Specks with good success!

I have yet to catch a flounder this year, so I will have to follow you down there next time!
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice Catch Tufnik, Congrats and great report.
                          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Joe,
                            Yeah, they love bucktails. That bull swallowed my bucktail (cheap $1; from fishing flea market). I was going to cut the leader, but decided to retrieve the lure. It's mouth was big enough, so I reached down and unhooked the lure with no problem. I bet it appreciated that.

Dave,
                            Is flounder alley the area you showed me? I saw you catch a flounder there. If so, then that's the area I refer to as the "trough." I fished it on several drifts.

John,
                            I bought it because I wanted to try a Pflueger. I wanted a light reel for all-day jigging. It's my lightest baitcaster at only 6.5 ounces. Got it cheap on eBay. I think $120. My Curado 200 E7 feels the best in my hands, but weighs 8 ounces.

Abu,
                            Glad you caught on and enjoyed my humor...lol...
                            Last edited by tufnik; 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Dang! I just ordered 15 1.5oz bucktails at $3.49 each along with some rods for specks from Cabelas. I think 1.5oz may be too light for CBBT. I may have to add a 0.5-1 oz slip sinker if the current is too strong. I closed the door a little too early yesterday - there went my favorite speck rod.
                              Next time I am going to stop by Hampton Basspro to buy more 2oz buck tails with blade on the bottom at $2.99.

Yes, I also want a lighter and low profile reels for one hand operation and the all day jigging. Tendonitis on my right elbow never goes away. My Pflueger Supreme is still $99.99. Once it (also Revo S $129.99) passes my 3 year test (end of 2015), I will recommend the reel as alternative for the higher end reels to anglers who want disposable reels. I don't mean disposable in bad negative term. An inexpensive disposable reel fits me because I don't know how to maintain bait-casting reel. Whenever I disassembled a bait casting reel, that became the end of the reel. Or I paid the repair/maintenance. So my policy's been never open the reels. Lubricate the outside only.

Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X