Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!

Home with my Tarpon 140 at last. I can begin creating my dream fishing kayak.
    You'd be happy too if it was your first.
    Where do I find a we or dry suit for winter fall and winter fishing - that won't cost me my home?
    Thanks!
    DaveO
    Arnold/Annapolis
    Yellow Tarpon 140

I have XXL waders I'd like to sell
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

thank you Bass...I will not fit XXLs however. Appreciate it!
      DaveO
      Arnold/Annapolis
      Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

I don't really either haha.. I just got them a tad bigger for clothes to go under .
        Zach Moore
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Zack ....... What are you doing with xxl waders ....... You' re thin

Comment

Haha.. I bought them to be able to get pants and Hoodie and all under it.. but it's still a tad large
            Zach Moore
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
              Where do I find a we or dry suit for winter fall and winter fishing - that won't cost me my home?
              Thanks!
              Congrats on the new kayak!

Check out the NRS website: http://www.nrs.com/learn/?group=14
              See the section on "Cold Water Protection" and "Apparel - How to Choose"

After you figure out how you want to dress then you can shop online to look for sales, etc.
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                Thanks!
                The flea bay is one place to shop for that but you know how that can be. I just got my first drysuit from there and scored a home run for under $200. It took a few weeks of trying to get a Kokatat DS at a deal which is possible but a got a Gul front entry full suit with booties with no leaks for $189 and free ship. Mine has the "glideskin gaskets" not latex. Gasket replacement is easy diy or pay $75 at a dive shop. So a used suit needing gaskets can be the entry way to save hundreds.

After a friend in Alaska fell off his yak in waders and fleece into 50 degree water he could not renenter and was rescued by a nearby landing ramp equipped boat (not uncommon up there) which literally dropped the ramp and scooped him and boat up. When asked was he okay...yea, just wet and cold but fine. Then he couldn't stand up and they thought he was hurt. Nope, but he was carrying 40 additional pounds of water which is why he couldn't re-enter his yak nor stand up quickly/easily being cold, too. He bought a Kokatat suit the next day and is why I bought a full dry suit last month for myself.

The least expensive drysuit new is either on the bay direct from China or Mythic up in Maine, IIRC. I would buy a Mythic in a heartbeat but their XL suits aren't in until next month or so. I checked for two months before my purchase. Waders works but only until you fully immerse.

HTH - Steve

PS- forgot big congrats on your new Tarpon! Have fun rigging it.

Comment

Congrats on the new kayak, and best of luck fishing!
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Congrats on the new kayak! Look forward to how you rig it out and catch fish!
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

thank you All! getting ready to finalize rigging ideas, then getting to work. Excitement abounds. I will read the article and to the flea bay search soonest.
                      Best to all//Dave
                      DaveO
                      Arnold/Annapolis
                      Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Best to ya on rigging out your yak!

the drysuit company is this link: http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

No, I'm not affiliated in any way. Mods can remove the link if against policy.

This is the drysuit I got. Using for local lakes during fall and after ice out when the fish are REAL hungry. Plus it goes to Alaska with me each year from now on. I have an Ocean Kayak stored at the lodge I go to each year to fish from for salmon, rockfish and halibut. For now here in the high mtn desert of the West, it's still shorts weather but the cold is coming so waders first then transition to drysuit as needed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fishing Alaska and the high mountains sounds like you're living the dream. I miss fishing the continental divide and prairie streams.
                          PigPen - Mt Airy
                          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                            Fishing Alaska and the high mountains sounds like you're living the dream. I miss fishing the continental divide and prairie streams.
                            Living the dream....yea..the Alaska part for sure...16 consecutive annual trips. But I am a North Carolinian ...30 years in the Raleigh area and I miss the beach! I signed up here to gain vicarious saltwater yak fishing expertise before buying my next boat...probably a Hobie Mirage drive.

Sorry to thread jack DaveO....back to you.

Comment

Working...
                            X