Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strapping a kayak to the side of a fishing boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strapping a kayak to the side of a fishing boat?

A friend of mine lives in Annapolis and is considering buying a weekend home on Harris Creek near the mouth of the Choptank. He owns a 19' Parker center console, and part of the appeal for him and his wife is they could get in the boat in Annapolis and visit the weekend home by boat, thereby avoiding bridge traffic, saving time, and increasing their enjoyment.

It got me thinking; I wonder if special racks exist for larger well powered fishing boats in the 18-25 foot class to securely strap a kayak to each side? All that's really needed are two adjustable hooks to hang the kayak, and two watertight pass throughs to feed standard car top straps around the kayak and through the gunwale(s).

Secure, water tight racks on board would eliminate the capsize risk of towing a kayak, and also free up space on the inside of the boat. With more and more anglers recognizing the value of a good fishing kayak for shoreline fishing, it seems like a no-brainer to sell universal kits that would facilitate this.

Also, it would be great for campers. The center console or whatever could be anchored off an island as the mother ship for gear and supplies, and the campers could fish and camp on the island. At the end of the trip, just re-strapped the kayaks to the sides of the boat and head back for home port.

Any thoughts,'or do these racks already exist?
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-11-2014, 12:27 PM.

I have never seen hooks to hang kayaks on the outside. When I joined 3 other guys for a mothership trip last April, We placed all four of our kayaks inside or hanging off the deck of a large Carolina Skiff.

002.jpg 004.jpg

I would be nervous about hanging a kayak on the outside of the hull in case the boat heeled over due to a large wave or wake.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      I have never seen hooks to hang kayaks on the outside. When I joined 3 other guys for a mothership trip last April, We placed all four of our kayaks inside or hanging off the deck of a large Carolina Skiff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13745[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13746[/ATTACH]

I would be nervous about hanging a kayak on the outside of the hull in case the boat heeled over due to a large wave or wake.

Hi John - I think the racks outside the boat would need a gunwale at least 3 feet or higher for enough clearance off the water. That, and/or make the hooks vertically adjustable.

If there are three or four foot seas, or the potential for heavy seas, I see your point. Think of the lifeboats on the big ocean liners, only on a much smaller scale, and also strapped down like they are on the roof of a car.

Comment

Working...
      X