Kayak Fishing Seminar at Seneca Creek State Park on October 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing Seminar at Seneca Creek State Park on October 19th

We are going to have an hour and a half seminar on Kayak Fishing at Seneca Creek State Park on Sunday October 19th from 10:30 A.M. to noon. Jeff Little will be speaking on Striped Bass fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, Jed Plunkert will bring his expertise on Smallmouth Bass river fishing and I will be talking fall patterns for Largemouth Bass in reservoirs.

Right after the seminar we plan to hit the water to fish right there on Clopper Lake with all who would like to join us. Clopper Lake has Largemouth, Crappie, Yellow Perch and Sunfish. This is a lake that I really like in the late season with a good chance at a Largemouth in the 4-5 pound range. If you like Yellow Perch this place has a healthy population that I believe is largely untapped. I plan on including a rundown on the lake during my segment. Should be a fun time.

There is a park entrance fee ($ 3.00) still in effect through the end of October but the seminar and use of the hand launch is free. There is parking right next to the water.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Hi Dave,

I'm new to kayak fishing and haven't fished much (other than charter boats) since I was a kid. I will definitely be attending this seminar with my Hobie i14T and a couple of rods. What types of tackle/lures would you recommend that I purchase prior to this seminar. I'd be fine catching anything, but I'd like to target LMB and perch. I have an ultralight and medium heavy spinning outfit. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Greg Blakey
    Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Finally a seminar on a weekend. Most seminars are on weekday evenings which sucks for us night shift guys.
      Definitely gonna try to make this and will probably get there early to do some fishing before and after.
      Will be my 1st time at Clopper Lake.

You said hand launch. Is there a place for trailer parking??
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Sounds like a great event, wish it was on a weekend where I was going to be in Town. There is lots of knowledge to gain from this group.

I hope you guys have a great turn out and get a good group to go fishing.

Matt
        WS ATAK

Comment

I really hope I can make this. I am very new to both fishing and kayaking and seem to spend most of my time on the water untangling lines and crashing into piers. Some info on technique would be very helpful as I seem to only be able to catch fish by luck most of the time.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Chillg123: For largemouth bass a couple of crankbaits that dive in the 6-10 foot range and some 3/8 ounce spinnerbaits would be a good start. Lipless crankbaits are another good choice this time of year.

crankbait examples: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strik...html#multiview
            spinnerbait examples: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stanl...page-SWPS.html
            lipless crankbait examples: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bill_...cpage-RT5.html

The water should be fairly clear so I would stick mostly with natural colors (something that looks like a bluegill or a yellow perch). If we find that the bass want a soft plastic or jig on the bottom I can hook you up with that type of presentation. I carry lots of extras.

For yellow perch (and crappie) a "Beetle Spin" type spinnerbait in the 1/8th ounce size should pair well with your light outfits.

Beetle Spin: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Johns...cpage-TRT.html
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
              Finally a seminar on a weekend. Most seminars are on weekday evenings which sucks for us night shift guys.
              Definitely gonna try to make this and will probably get there early to do some fishing before and after.
              Will be my 1st time at Clopper Lake.

You said hand launch. Is there a place for trailer parking??
              Right down by the water they do not have those long parking spots for trailers. However, you could launch and then pull the vehicle up to one of the larger lots. I have also seen jon boat guys just back the trailer onto the grass behind their parking spot.
              Last edited by Turtle135; 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by volboy23 View Post
                Sounds like a great event, wish it was on a weekend where I was going to be in Town. There is lots of knowledge to gain from this group.

I hope you guys have a great turn out and get a good group to go fishing.

Matt
                Thanks and sorry you are out of town that weekend! You take care. We need to fish the Tidal Potomac more next season!
                Last edited by Turtle135; 10-10-2014, 04:27 PM.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                  I really hope I can make this. I am very new to both fishing and kayaking and seem to spend most of my time on the water untangling lines and crashing into piers. Some info on technique would be very helpful as I seem to only be able to catch fish by luck most of the time.
                  Should be a fun and informative event. Both Jeff Little and Jed Plunkert have a wealth of information on kayak fishing and they will have their kayaks rigged ready to fish so you can check out their setups. Hope you can make it.
                  Dave

Comment

I think I will be attending this. It will be good to get some extra knowledge, my fishing mojo has been WAY off this past year.
                    Tan-Tarpon 140
                    Lime-Pelican Matrix
                    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Im normally off on Sundays so I hope I can make this trip/day of it.
                      Maria
                      GO RAVENS!!!
                      D10 Ascend
                      http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Im off from work....gonna try and make it.

Comment

Did a little prefishing on Clopper yesterday as I have not been on the water in a while. Here is the report:

Water Temp: 64-65 degrees
                          Thermocline: 18 feet
                          Clarity: clear, a white spinnerbait could be seen about 5 feet down
                          Deep Weedline: about 10 feet down

Caught about 15 largemouth today mostly on a 3/8 ounce spinnerbait in Tennessee Shad, some on a 5/16 ounce swim jig (black & blue and also a sunfish pattern). Nothing big, I just kept moving today to cover the whole lake from end to end to see what the current conditions are like. The weed growth is still pretty heavy from the shoreline out to about 10 feet deep. Weeds are beginning to break up and get piled up in certain spots by the wind. Some great looking floating mats in 6-7 feet of water in the upper end. Lot of holes in the grass and when I would run the lure along those edges the bass would dart out and blast the spinnerbait or the swim jig. Did have one that looked to be 18" chase the swim jig all the way to the kayak.

When I had a breeze blowing the bass were in the mood to chase the spinnerbait. When it got dead calm they were harder to coax. In that situation a weightless Senko or Fluke may be a good option to bring them out of their hiding spots.

Really nice afternoon out there, the leaves are just starting to turn and there were zero boats on the water today.
                          Dave

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I can't wait. I tried out a crankbait that I'd owned for years and never tried on the Potomac in DC yesterday. Caught a small LMB and two large channel cats on my ultralight rig. I'd never tried a crankbait before. It was also my first time kayak trolling. Can't beat beginner's luck. See you guys next weekend.IMG_0985[1].jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0989[1].jpgIMG_0995[1].jpg
                            Last edited by Chillg123; 10-13-2014, 04:55 PM.
                            Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
                            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Well done Greg! That is a smallmouth bass in your first photo by the way. Did you get that second catfish in the tail? I have that happen frequently with blue cats on the tidal potomac as they seem to take swipes at your lure and get the hook in parts other than their mouth.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X