Kipto Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto Ships

The wife and I were in the area for a wedding last weekend so we decided to stay a couple extra days and camp at Kipto. Of course I brought fishing stuff along too. I primarily wanted to get out to the seaside islands to surf fish but winds weren't the best for making the trip out. I did make it out for a half day trip but didn't get to fish as long as I would have liked - got 1 red a couple inches over slot.

I decided to try the ships instead since I've never fished them before. Picked up some bait for tog/sheep/whatever and paddled out. I had to stay on the east side because of the wind and swells beating up against the ships on the west side. Fishing was okay. I picked up maybe a half dozen tog - biggest went 14" - toads, and small sea bass. One other guy was togging and he only had 1 so far. They were there but the bite wasn't very aggressive.

After I ran out of tog bait I scouted the shorelines for reds but the wind made it tough to sight any and casting/trolling only produced a short flounder.

I also learned a quick lesson on watching out for the worn down pointed metal edges dangling everywhere as I had one pierce my bow when a swell brought me down and right back up into a point. It made for a frantic couple seconds trying to push my kayak bow down off the metal spear to to free me from the now precarious position of my kayak pierced to the ship while leaning badly to the left and swells rolling me up and down. Not much harm after the fact though and a quick heat gun application had the "Banana Hammock" patched up in 30 seconds.
    Brian

Thanks for the report, that's sounds scary with the metal spear into your yak
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good report.

Glad you escaped the rebar.

It's pervasive there.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yikes! That's crazy! Glad all is ok and you were able to fix it.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
        X