College Creek October 7th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Creek October 7th

Went fishing with my dad today launching from College creek and it was a mighty day. We launched just after 12 because the low tide was around 10:50 and wanted to hit the larger swinging tide. Just barely into our paddle near a fallen tree limb was a bluefish about 16-18" that we could visibly see. Didn't seem hungry so we moved on.. We worked several patterns throughout the creek in sections so to speak and ultimately kept one 18"+ striper (first fish of the day) and later my dad caught a 20" striper, which was his first striper he's ever caught and first fish on a kayak! Very proud of him. We trolled along out to the Severn and rested for a bit, then headed back into the creek to head back. All of the schoolies caught were between 14-17" in all sections of the creek. The day was overcast, which was to our advantage and we used jig heads with Zman paddle tails on. Used two colors that were similar to the bait fish in the water. When I filleted the fish tonight, in the 20" there was one baitfish about 3-4" long and the 18" fish had three baitfish about 3-4" long inside of them. G0011239.jpgG0021300.jpg

Jake
    J

Where'd ya'll launch from? I've often thought about just parking at the baseball stadium, but worried I'd get towed.

Comment

We launched from a friend's house further up the creek. If you have a military ID, the basin is a easy place to launch as well. Just be sure you keep your ID on you. One of the MP's pulled his car over, lights flashing and all, while I was in the water, but once he saw ID everything was fine. I managed to catch a nice striper right when he was talking to me, which brought a smile on his face. I've parked at the beach area previously with no problems. Just check that it's a proper parking space.
      J

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you found stripers and blues in the creek.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
          Where'd ya'll launch from? I've often thought about just parking at the baseball stadium, but worried I'd get towed.
          You can get to College Creek easily from Jonas Green.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice story and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Great report! I've been in and out of College Creek during summer months out of Jonas Green, but caught only perch then, and mostly throw backs.

It sounds like a good Fall option particularly with a north or north west wind blowing. That's assuming you can launch in or close by the creek. I wonder if launching at St Johns College but parking on King George St is an option for those w/o military is?

Comment

Working...
              X