Fishfinder/GPS units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder/GPS units

I was hoping I could get some feedback from the group on a good Fishfinder/GPS unit for my kayak. I'm looking at 4 different companies right now and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with any of them. Right now, I'm looking at Hummingbird, Lowrance, Garmin, and Raymarine.

I was leaning towards the Raymarine but am still undecided. Any thoughts?
    ~ Crypto
    2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14

I have a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI and am very happy with it. With the current prices, I would go for the Elite-5 HDI...I would have done that if they were this price when I bought it this spring.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

i have an elite 4 right now as well, if i dont pull the trigger around xmas on an elite 7 hdi im going to wait till the new depth finders come out with the chirp technology
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
        i have an elite 4 right now as well, if i dont pull the trigger around xmas on an elite 7 hdi im going to wait till the new depth finders come out with the chirp technology
        This is the first time I heard about the chirp technology, looks interesting.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I have the raymarine dragonfly 5 and am quite happy with it. I bought it primarily for the chirp sonar feature and the fact that any bad user problems would have come to light by now. It works just as advertised and I'm happy with it. You will want to be sure of all the install details for your 'yak so the install goes well. I have a pro angler 12 and the install was just as I hoped.

Gps performance is what I expected and very accurate. I like the ability to save tracks of where I fished. It locks onto my position before I can get the "boat" launched and has never lost my position.

The sonar and chirp downscan work well, too. I just can't compare them to anything else since this is my first sonar unit. The images seen out on the water at 40 feet and less match the advertisements. I've seen bait balls and large blips nearby, which I assume were larger fish. I didn't catch anything to confirm that. But. I did watch a very large blip come up from the bottom to near the transducer and felt a pressure wave on the mirage drive as it went by. Spooky!

The chirp feature is fun to watch now and again, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Still, it works as advertised and I would rather buy a good unit once and be done with it. I tend to get frustrated with a purchase that saved a few bucks when buying the first time, but then left me wanting in the long run.

I found my best price at the NC GPS store

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have always used Humminbird, without any problems. I now use a 597 HD DI. I do like the Garmin units, with touch screen. Garmin is very user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkGT View Post
              I did watch a very large blip come up from the bottom to near the transducer and felt a pressure wave on the mirage drive as it went by. Spooky!
              Where were you? The Dragonfly units look sexy, but they are spendy and I've seen more bad reviews than good ones. Glad you are happy with it...makes me wonder why all the bad reviews are out there. Maybe it's just "those people" that focus on negative feedback?
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I never heard of the Dragonfly unit, but taking a look at the website, it's appealing. That CHIRP stuff really sounds promising. It may be worth a try. It's tough because the only real way you know how it works is when using it real time.

I like my humminbird 788 with down imaging. Sometimes I wonder if I should have sprung for the side imaging.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Chris is coming out on Lowrance very soon
                  Zach Moore
                  Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                  Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Cowpokey, I launched out of the Romancoke Wharf fishing pier and went out Southeast from the wharf. Here is the image... Any guesses as to what that was? It looks like two large blips, one stayed deep, the other came up to investigate.Spooky.jpg

Comment

Here are some other images from the Dragonfly... same area. Normal sonar on top, chirp image on bottom.Dump007.jpgDump008.jpg

Comment

Cowpokey, I launched out of the Romancoke Wharf fishing pier and went out Southeast from the wharf. Here is the image... Any guesses as to what that was? It looks like two large blips, one stayed deep, the other came up to investigate.[ATTACH=CONFIG]13656[/ATTACH]
                        Wow, that's weird. I don't have a clue.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Here are some other images from the Dragonfly... same area. Normal sonar on top, chirp image on bottom.[ATTACH=CONFIG]13657[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13658[/ATTACH]
                          Cool images! Looks like it has really good resolution on the screen.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, I launched out of the Romancoke Wharf fishing pier and went out Southeast from the wharf. Here is the image... Any guesses as to what that was? It looks like two large blips, one stayed deep, the other came up to investigate.[ATTACH=CONFIG]13656[/ATTACH]
                            Nothing to worry about. It was just a 10 foot Bull Shark looking for lunch.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks to all for your feedback! Buying your first is always the hardest :-)
                              ~ Crypto
                              2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X