getting colder..looking for cheap ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting colder..looking for cheap ideas

I am about a month away from being able to get a decent set of dry-waiters (from BPS). When I launch my Yak I get wet up to my mid-calf area.. I am sure you all do the same. This is normally not a problem when it is warm and Yak fishing is wet by nature. Now that it is getting colder, I have no wish to launch a yak in 45 degree weather while getting my feet wet... my pants are water proof and so is my jacket... but my feet will KILL me if I fish all day in wet shoes and socks.. and fishing in bare feet in the mid-40s sounds kinda crappy.

So as a cheap interim solution until I get the dry waiters (they have a neoprene bootie built in) I am thinking of using my water shoes over thick garbage bags over two socks? I figure I will duct tape them at the knees. Anyone have any better ideas?

water temps are still relatively warm, and I can add layers under my waterproof pants and jacket.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

How about a cheap pair of rubber boots or hip boots? I've seen some go for as low as $15. Keep an eye out for sales at Dick's, BPS or try places like Ollie's Bargain Outlet.
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

I bought some rubber boots from BPS to use with waterproof pants last year. Works fine for me. You just have to be careful when you are launching but I've never had the water come more than a few inches from the top of the boots.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
        I am about a month away from being able to get a decent set of dry-waiters (from BPS).
        What are "dry-waiters"?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

They are the non drinkers that highly recommend a certain wine when taking your dinner order.
          I have used the neoprene chest waders in Trout streams in January and hunting in snow and never got cold or wet feet. Check BPS for sales and stay dry and warm. Be sure to get a waist belt and wear your PFD!

Comment

I was referring to the chest high dry pants with the chest strap and neoprene booties..
            People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
              They are the non drinkers that highly recommend a certain wine when taking your dinner order.
              That sets it straight, thanks.

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
              I have used the neoprene chest waders in Trout streams in January and hunting in snow and never got cold or wet feet. Check BPS for sales and stay dry and warm. Be sure to get a waist belt and wear your PFD!
              I have goretex chest hight waders with neoprene booties, and a short sleeve dry top. Wear fleece pants under the waders, and just a teeshirt under the dry top. Will put a jacket over the top of everything as needed.

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
              I was referring to the chest high dry pants with the chest strap and neoprene booties..
              I think "waders" is the correct spelling/name.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
              X