CBBT Fri 10-3-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Fri 10-3-14

The surf was a bit rough, but the launch was Ok at CBBT. I was on the water early morning and later met JohnE and his yaker friend from NJ.

I soaked sand fleas, but I mostly jigged a white bucktail and plastic worm tandem rig. Target for me was flounder and sheeps. No sheeps, but I caught three keeper flounder. In the afternoon I got a big hook up, but it came off the hook after 10 seconds of rod-bending excitement. It was probably a bull.

When I saw JohnE on his new Outback, I could tell he was enjoying his new ride. He said it was nice to not have to grab his paddle while holding his rod/reel anymore.

At mid-afternoon, the current was ripping pretty good. Wind, waves and chops came up. There were big swells too.

My catch: lizard fish, toad and three keeper flounder (16.5, 19, 20”).
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Man you are psyching me up for next weekend! Nice job on the flounder Efrin!

I notice your using your old outback. Is it because you didn't have time "armor" it for the pilings?
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      Man you are psyching me up for next weekend! Nice job on the flounder Efrin!

I notice your using your old outback. Is it because you didn't have time "armor" it for the pilings?
      Yeah, will get the new Outback ready for this weekend. Where are you fishing/camping at VB this weekend?

Comment

We'll be camping at First Landing State park. If the winds cooperate then we'll be targeting CBBT otherwise either Rudee or Lynnhaven.

What are you thinking?
        -Mustafa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Depending on wx, would like to hit CBBT on Sat and maybe Sun. Back-ups are Kipto, Wise Pt or HRBT.

Trying to get my Outback ready. That seat is something else. Very adjustable, but with all that complexity, I wonder about durability and reliability. The back cargo area is narrower than my 2011 Outback, so I had to re-adjust my crate rails. My rod extension now won't position correctly on the yak's rear rod position. The foam in the center hatch hole limits my storage space. Oh well,.....

Comment

That's interesting that it is narrower for you. I got a pvc rod holder setup that Paul made for his 2013 outback and tried to put it in mine but my rod holder holes were wider so it didn't work.

I had to fabricate a new one but it's good to go now...

The water test will tell how good it works for me...

Haven't fished HRBT before... We'll stay in touch as the weekend gets closer
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Three flounders - Excellent!

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

The pvc rod holder was design to pinch in a little so it would be a tight fit. That way it wouldn't fall out if you turtle. It might fit still, you might just have to flex it. I'll show you what I mean when we fish this weekend.

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                That's interesting that it is narrower for you. I got a pvc rod holder setup that Paul made for his 2013 outback and tried to put it in mine but my rod holder holes were wider so it didn't work.

I had to fabricate a new one but it's good to go now...

The water test will tell how good it works for me...

Haven't fished HRBT before... We'll stay in touch as the weekend gets closer

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Is it just me, or is that last flounder extra spotty? Nice work!
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good seeing you out there again and good work on the flounder. My friend that came with me also got 3 keeper flounder Fri. I lost one big flounder out close to the island, several bluefish, small specks up to about 13", and of course oyster toads (getting closer to your record on those things, up to almost 16" on my personal best toad).

I actually went back to Cbbt Sat morning to check it out. The wind forecast was way off, but a few minutes after I got to the first boat channel the current starting ripping crazy hard from all that rain I guess. I tried to wait it out, but it was still ripping out several hours after low tide, so I gave up and headed over to Lynnhaven. Got more specks up to 14", black seabass, toads, and two keeper flounder at 19.5" and 21.5".
                    DSCN1368.jpg DSCN1378.jpg

Back to Lynnhaven Sunday, but no keepers. Flounder up to 15", specks up to 13", black seabass, and toads. Hit Hrbt this morning before heading back, small specks up to about 12" and a small striper. Tried to make it out before light to try for schoolies, but only got that one right at sunrise. They should start hitting pretty good at night over there by next weekend I think.

Comment

Nice flatties guys!
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice! Save some for the upcoming weekend! Planning on being down there.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

JohnE,

Looks like you're starting off well with the flatties. Good job on the catches. Do I sense you're fishing and catching more with the new Outback? Looks like it has new mojo..lol

When I arrived at CBBT 6 am on Sat, the surf was low and the wind maybe 5-10 kts. Very doable, but I decided not to go because of fear of the forecast. I later checked the actual wx measurements for wind and waves. It seemed very fishable up to about 1 pm when the conditions got bad. Maybe I should have tried for a few hours.

Comment

You should have gone out at 6...you would have had a few hours of good fishing. I did not make it out to first boat channel until after 8 and the current was not bad at first. The wind picked up later in the day, and it was blowing really hard even at lynnhaven. I could not believe how calm it was when I got there at 7.

And yes I can definitely fish longer in the outback. I really hope it has some better mojo, we will see. I think it is more just the time of year, but being more comfortable and less fatigued definitely helps...plus hands free to tie on more bucktails and stuff faster when they get snagged.

Comment

Working...
                            X