Off topic but about bluefish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic but about bluefish.

So, I remember the technique, Mustafa taught a few of us intrested in backward butterflying bluefish. So, I was invited to fish on a boat on Wednesday. I remember the last time I went out I bought some Berkley plastics that looked like bay anchovies and remembered how many were snapped or rip to pieces due to sharp razor blade bluefish. I didn't want to go through that again and decided to buy some reasonably priced plastics that stretch and have a lesser chance of snapping in half. I bought two types.. one that may attracked rocks and one that will attrack blues.
    Our journey started at 630 in the water. Only two of us went.. we had a rough start due to a downpour the night before. I had no idea it did I was in bed by 8pm. Swells were at least 2ft and we did see a lot of white caps close to opening of the Severn river which is were we went from Sandy Point drop off.. We were covered in saltwater and cold.. thank god I did take a water repellant hoodie!! We didn't catch nothing in the river so we headed out and looking for birds.. Nothing! Ended back by the bridge and saw fish jumping in swarms.. I wish I was in my kayak at that point so I can catch something by the looks of what the activity right next to me. I started dropping my jig and no sooner I jerked it once from the bottom fish was on. I literally was pushed foward and gained my balance.. I was shocked at how hard this tug was. I brought it in and it was literally 18 1/2 inches. Put on ice I tried again.. BAM!! HIT again!!!!!
    To end our day, we had a total of 21 bluefish 2 we put back they were just way to small to keep. 5 rockfish, all to small give them a chance to get bigger. Lastly, my right arm was hurting. Aww so sad lol. As we decided by noon and to many boats saw our joy we left.
    No traffic on the road home and realized Mustafa, way of filleting fish. So here was my big chance at practicing. I decided since my coworker was ever so nice to invite me I would take on the task of filleting these badboys. I have really good filleting knives no one is allowed to touch but me made of carbon steal, hence why no one is allowed to touch, wash or use them but me. I started by the mid section in the back to almost the back of the fin.. then went for the head.. head was a bit hard.. but I got through it.. my friend watched and wondered why I was cutting up a fish like that.. I said just watch, or don't... I then felt for the bones and wezzled my way to were I could not cut no more ever so gently. Flipped the fish over and did it again. I GOT IT I GOT THE MUSTAFA POWER... lol Realized I have to do this at least another 19 blues.. sign. Once I was done.. I was a pro.. I separated all the meat out and he said keep half.

I honestly felt a sense of accomplishment from learning at the tournament.. Now, I need to do this again but on the kayak lol. So now I have my marine radio, my lowrance fishfinder, I did invest in a blow up device you can hook on a paddle and climb back into a kayak incase it I turtle..

Thank you all again who gave me advice and some nice techniques as well.
    Maria
    GO RAVENS!!!
    D10 Ascend
    http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Nice job! Where are the pictures?

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
      Nice job! Where are the pictures?

Mobile
      Here is some Goody.... I was really tired by the time I got to these fish.. http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf007d33f.jpg
      Maria
      GO RAVENS!!!
      D10 Ascend

Comment

Go to the saltwater section at BPS, back right hand corner from the entrance. Get Zman DieZel MinnowZ, they are a 4" paddle tail that catch fish and don't get destroyed by blues' teeth.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mibytes View Post
          Here is some Goody.... I was really tired by the time I got to these fish.. http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf007d33f.jpg
          Nice size blues! I love them grilled.

Mobile

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Awesome going!! So proud of you and so happy I could pass on some knowledge!

With 21 back to back, you are a pro now! LOL
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice blues and love the shirt!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Nice blues and love the shirt!
                I wonder were I got it from hmmmmmmmmmm
                Maria
                GO RAVENS!!!
                D10 Ascend

Comment

I learned a lot from Mustafa.... I am using a variety of his curry spice mix on my salmon a couple times a week... if you eat fish as much as I do, the change in spices is really nice. I also will try the Mosgouf method of filleting fish, seems ideal for camping and cooking over an open fire.

I wonder why more people don't use a trailer style hook when the blues are around.. just rig up a second hook trailing the first one real close to the end of the plastic (or live) bait. Back home we would actually tie the hook to the minnow's tail with small line (it was also connected to the fish line by the normal 12lb test)... so when the fish (blues in this case) come and do their "just half for me please" routine with the bait there is a little surprise for them. The hook may reduce the action of the bait (live or plastic) but the ones that do hit will get hooked.
                  People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                    I learned a lot from Mustafa.... I am using a variety of his curry spice mix on my salmon a couple times a week... if you eat fish as much as I do, the change in spices is really nice. I also will try the Mosgouf method of filleting fish, seems ideal for camping and cooking over an open fire.
                    Thanks Pat! It's my pleasure bro. Always happy to help!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                      I wonder why more people don't use a trailer style hook when the blues are around.. just rig up a second hook trailing the first one real close to the end of the plastic (or live) bait. Back home we would actually tie the hook to the minnow's tail with small line (it was also connected to the fish line by the normal 12lb test)... so when the fish (blues in this case) come and do their "just half for me please" routine with the bait there is a little surprise for them. The hook may reduce the action of the bait (live or plastic) but the ones that do hit will get hooked.
                      I tried a trailer hook on one of my jigs. When it finally caught a fish, it was the main hook in the stripers mouth and the trailer was hanging free. The best bet is to just make sure the tail is on the jig so the hook is good and exposed. I was putting the tails on with the hook hidden (weedless style), and missed a lot of fish. There is some grass and other garbage in the water around the bay, so you'll need to check it once in a while and clean the hook off, but you'll catch more fish with it out in the open.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. I have a few big storm minnows that have a wire run the length of the lure and a prop blade and a few beads at the tail. I just attached a snap ring / treble back there, but haven't really had the chance to fish salt lately and need to get on that. Hopefully weather for Columbus day will cooperate.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                        X