10/02 Severn River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/02 Severn River

Looking to launch around first light from either Jonas Green or the Academy. Low tide around 6:15AM. High tide around 12PM.
    J

Was debating on ft Smallwood, but I think I may launch out of Jonas tomorrow I'll try to get there 6:30-7 at the latest
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

How is the fishing there is it gettin hot yet

Comment

I plan to launch from Tucker St (Weems Creek) after breakfast and do some trolling in the middle section of the river. Maybe I will see you guys out there. I will be in an orange Slayer Propel.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Realized I could launch out of the naval station ramp, which means less paddling out! John- I'll be near the mouth. I'll be in the camo Field & Stream.
          J

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
            How is the fishing there is it gettin hot yet
            Idk what hot is, seeing how I have been out in the Severn close to 15 times this year and all I caught was perch. I'd like to catch at least 1 keeper sized rockfish this year..

I'll be in a yellow proangler
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Alrite so if ur only catchin perch I'll stay we're I been goin me
              N my friend have caught 20 rockfish in 3 trips no more then 6 hours on the water

Comment

I went out yesterday out of Jonas Green and all we got was a couple of perch. I wouldn't count out that spot though, this time last year we found a lot of striper feeding frenzies. I'm hoping we're just a week or two early.
                Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

I trolled in the mid-section of the Severn this morning, caught five stripers (one at 19", the rest smaller), but was frustrated by the large amount of floating filamentous grass. It was particularly bad on the southern shoreline (Annapolis/Crownsville side). My lures would pick up the grass and leaves every few minutes making the lures unattractive to the fish. When I switched across to the northern shoreline, there was less grass, but still enough to be annoying. I worked both sides from the Weems Creek mouth to 1/2 mile upstream from the Rt 50 bridge. This was a striking difference from my trip yesterday near Kent Narrows -- there I did not to deal with any grass and could keep my lures in play nearly the whole time.

I had a few soft plastics lures bitten off -- presumably bluefish. The five fish I caught hit four different lures, so I cannot note any trends in preference.

I saw another kayak angler in a yellow Pro Angler -- it may have been Jaspratt.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

image.jpgThat was me out there, trying to fish that hump. Found abunch of bluefish schooling in the main channel and started jigging for them, almost went thru a whole pack of plastics till I finally caught one. As the bait would get close you could see the followers, looked to be 20"+ bluefish 5 of them following my bait but just wouldn't commit. I would still be out there if my revo inshore reel didn't blow apart during a cast.. Not to happy about that..
                    Jason

Comment

You need Zman tails, just lost my first one, because the line got cut, probably caught 100 fish on that one tail, at least half were blues.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I second the Zman tails.. I didn't find any blues interested in the "smoky shad" color today, but the rockfish seemed to like it. I caught one 12" blue on a Rat L Trap. I caught six rockfish total with one being 18" and the rest were fairly close at 15-16.5". My favorite moment of the day was when trolling past a drop I was interested in near Lake Ogleton on the west side of the river and all three of my rods slammed down at once. All three managed to hang on somehow.G0011298.jpg
                        GOPR1226.jpg
                        J

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]13583[/ATTACH]That was me out there, trying to fish that hump. Found abunch of bluefish schooling in the main channel and started jigging for them, almost went thru a whole pack of plastics till I finally caught one. As the bait would get close you could see the followers, looked to be 20"+ bluefish 5 of them following my bait but just wouldn't commit. I would still be out there if my revo inshore reel didn't blow apart during a cast.. Not to happy about that..
                          Oh that's ugly.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13583[/ATTACH]That was me out there, trying to fish that hump. Found abunch of bluefish schooling in the main channel and started jigging for them, almost went thru a whole pack of plastics till I finally caught one. As the bait would get close you could see the followers, looked to be 20"+ bluefish 5 of them following my bait but just wouldn't commit. I would still be out there if my revo inshore reel didn't blow apart during a cast.. Not to happy about that..
                            Dang! That sucks! Sorry Jaspratt!

Mobile

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13583[/ATTACH].
                              Well there's your problem right there. Your handle is on the wrong side...glad I could help.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X