Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freshstripes View Post
    I'll sign up for $30 if my 36.5 and 35 count. I really should've signed up
    This annoys me, man. Just sign up and go catch a couple more.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
      What's holding people back from signing up? Would more people sign up for these types of challenges if we allowed any standard measuring device? Or if the cost was only $10?

Give me some feedback here so we can hopefully get more people involved in the next event next month.
      $20 entry fee is reasonable. I was hoping you would have posted the list of people already signed up as requested earlier in the thread. Also posting pictures of the top fish would help. This would be my first challenge and the rules seem simple but here's a question... I just picked up a Frabill Bump Board and max size is 36 inches. What do you do if you catch a fish bigger than the measuring device?
      2014 Hobie Pro Angler
      2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        This annoys me, man. Just sign up and go catch a couple more.
        I see where he's coming from, especially if he is strictly shore bound. Easy for yak guys to move to a productive location, shore guys not so much. And your right too, the current leader can easily be topped with all of the mid to upper 20 inch fish in the bay right now.
        2014 Hobie Pro Angler

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post
          $20 entry fee is reasonable. I was hoping you would have posted the list of people already signed up as requested earlier in the thread. Also posting pictures of the top fish would help. This would be my first challenge and the rules seem simple but here's a question... I just picked up a Frabill Bump Board and max size is 36 inches. What do you do if you catch a fish bigger than the measuring device?
          you catch two fish over 36" = basically you'll win.... the judge can estimate the length

I just forgot to post the list, but what does that have to do with signing up?

List of Participants

Reelaxin
          REdfish 12
          ravensdfense
          hemingway
          JohnE
          Joey Cover
          Joey's Friend
          Rhill

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post
            I see where he's coming from, especially if he is strictly shore bound. Easy for yak guys to move to a productive location, shore guys not so much. And your right too, the current leader can easily be topped with all of the mid to upper 20 inch fish in the bay right now.
            The event is a month long anyone just fishing from shore can fish many different places too

Comment

I updated the allowed measuring devices to any standardized measuring device. Obviously hawg trough is still preferred and if you plan to fish any MAKBF events next year it will be the only allowed measuring device. It is well worth the $15!!

Comment

I just want to say that even though I am not participating in this .. this month... I really like the idea. $20 is not too much money(basically it is just 3 rattle trap type lures). It adds a lot of interest and fun to our sport.

The ONLY reason I am not participating is that I JUST bought my Kayak two weeks ago, a roof rack to carry it, a paddle, a life vest, and basically a whole Salt water tackle setup.. so I am tapped out money wise. I really hope that this type of thing is encouraged and continues (though once it gets cold I am out.. way to wimpy to fish in the snow).
                People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                  you catch two fish over 36" = basically you'll win.... the judge can estimate the length

I just forgot to post the list, but what does that have to do with signing up?
                  This is an online challenge, perhaps if there was more visibility then more people would sign up.
                  2014 Hobie Pro Angler

Comment

Yeah, just want to know who is competing/how much money is in the pot. It's all about transparency with these types of things.

Sent via mobile
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I think it's a great idea. But I just would rather fish a local in-person contest. Keeps people honest. Not saying anyone would, but someone could easily go offshore or charter fishing and pull in a couple 50"ers and snap a pick with their kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                        I think it's a great idea. But I just would rather fish a local in-person contest. Keeps people honest. Not saying anyone would, but someone could easily go offshore or charter fishing and pull in a couple 50"ers and snap a pick with their kayak.
                        On first glance I understand the above concern, however, let's think this through. First it is not easy to go offshore on a charter and luck out finding quality fish. But, more importantly, it is financially stupid. You will spend more on the charter than you probably will win in this little online competition. Ethically it is stupid as well. A cheater would be agreeing that his good name and reputation is only worth a few tens of dollars. I may be naive, but I feel to a man (or woman) the members of Snaggedline are better than that. For me, I am in it for the fun, and it will be a great incentive to fish a couple of more times than I might otherwise do this month.

Comment

Even if only 15 people sign up, the 1st place payout is $240. A fishing charter is around $75. Several people have their own boats and would only be paying for gas. You can actually buy a big live striper off someone coming in from the charters for $50 easy.

I too, would think/hope the community here is better than that. But I am also not that trusting. Like I said, I think it's a good idea. But he asked for feedback as to why some people are not signing up. So there is mine.

Edit: If this were a private community/club, it would be different.

Comment

Updated Standings 10/10 4:30pm

Hemingway - 47"
                            Reelaxin - 41"
                            Redfish12 - 40.5"
                            Ravensdfense - 37.5"

Comment

My fish from this morning:IMG_6631.jpgIMG_6633.jpg
                              Shane
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Updated 10/13 1pm

Hemingway - 58"
                                Rhill - 43.75"
                                Reelaxin - 41"
                                Redfish12 - 40.5"
                                Ravensdfense - 37.5"

Comment

Working...
                                X