Rockfish getting bigger in the Severn River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockfish getting bigger in the Severn River

I went out today fishing the incoming tide and the bite was on!! I caught multiple keepers which were not in these photos. I only kept what I eat as I always do. I could've kept one 18 incher or a 19 incher. I only kept this one 20 inch plus fish because I need to feed my Family some fresh rockfish tonight!! I am very thankful for this fish and hope that I catch many more!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done!
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Nicely done!
      Thank you sir!!

Comment

Healthy looking striper, congrats on your success !
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          Healthy looking striper, congrats on your success !
          Thanks

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you are finding keeper sized fish in the Severn. That is good news.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good news indeed about the Severn!

Nice going bro!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice catch! I'm hoping to get out there today. What did you catch them on?
                J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                  Nice catch! I'm hoping to get out there today. What did you catch them on?
                  I caught them with the rattletrap that's in this picture and some smaller ones on my Alabama rig.

Comment

Thanks mate! I've caught some smallies out there on the rattletrap, but an actual rock managed to take it from me!
                    J

Comment

Thanks mate! I've caught some smallies out there on the rattletrap, but an actual rock managed to take it from me!
                      I have to buy another one because the rockfish were hitting it so hard they cracked it and the back hook Fell off!! They were much more aggressive after the sun went down.

Comment

The fish always get bigger in the fall- and the profile of the rattle trap (especially the chrome and yellow) mimics a herring/menhaden baitfish- the XRap , on the other hand mimics a silverside minnow, so all depends on what's for lunch as to the hot crankbait to troll- I have found it is hard to beat a soft plastic swim bait on one rod and a crankbait on the other- see which one gets the most hits and then double up- don't be afraid to change lures, colors, sizes, etc. What worked last week may not work today...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I faired decently today. Over 20 between 15-17" and one was 17.75"! I was so close. I caught a 16" blue to keep. I started with an umbrella rig, a rattle, and a jig for trolling. "Opening night " was a hot colour again and "violet moon " was too. I was between 9-14' of water for all of my fish. Ended up finding a large school of rockfish with trolling and the fishfinder. After reading Alan's book, I'm finding myself improving on the quality and quantity of my catch.
                          J

Comment

16" blue today on violet moon paddle tail
                            Attached Files
                            J

Comment

16" blue today on violet moon paddle tail
                              Nice bluefish man. The bluefish I've been catching are much smaller. Allen's book has also helped me out a whole lot. Where were you catching these rockfish at because I was at the mouth of the Severn almost in the bay and that's where I see the larger ones coming in.

Comment

Working...
                              X