Ft. Smallwood today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Smallwood today

Hugo (TXFly16), Terry (Raptor), and myself all launched a little after 7 am from Ft. Smallwood Park. Water was calm weather nice.

Within the first 10 min after launch I hooked up with a 22” fat striper in about 6’ of water not far from the launch. We headed out towards White Rocks and trolled and fished on both the incoming and outgoing tides. . Raptor ended up with 6 stripers with all but 1 a keeper with 2-24” fish as well as Hugo catching a couple nice stripers. I caught about 5 stripers with a couple 22” fish. Now I was trolling and heard my rod go down behind me in the Ram rocket launcher and the watched the rod “rocket” out of the launcher from the tremendous strike. Luckily, I keep a leash on my rods while in the holders, so I was able to grab the leash and pull back my rod with the fish still hooked. Turns out to be about a 16” fighting Blue.

All-and-all a good day for all and Hugo took 2 nice fish home to eat.
    Attached Files

Nice report Harry. You guys caught some quality fish today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Way to go guys!

Sorry I missed it.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Looks like a fat fall striper, nice!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Well done! We're still on the water down here at Solomons....report later.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

NICE!! really good day with multiple hookups of quality fish!! congrats!! happy for you that rod had a leash!!! and the fish was still on!! gotta like that outcome

Comment

Sounds like you all had an awesome day on the water! Looks really calm today and shows with a lot of success. Nice report as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's sweet I'm going to try to get off one day soon. I will send you a msg.
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice catches looks like the fish are back in the patapsco
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Sounds like they're getting bigger as you go more out to the main stem. Interesting stuff. I almost reached white rocks this past weekend as I did see some birds in the distance but it was pretty far from where I was and didn't feel like it. How is the ft smallwood launch? I've got a friend that lives on Stoney Creek and I've been considering taking him up on an invite to fish there and on out to the Ptaps.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

i think ft smallwood is a beach launch near the crabbing pier if im not mistaken.
                      i miss ft smallwood when you used to be able to camp there overnight.. now that the state owns the park, you have to be out by sunset
                      Michael
                      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                      Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Nice Job guys.
                        Looks likes it's an early Rocktober in the Patapsco.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Now I'm amped to get back out Friday morning before work
                          D Hawk
                          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                            i think ft smallwood is a beach launch near the crabbing pier if im not mistaken.
                            i miss ft smallwood when you used to be able to camp there overnight.. now that the state owns the park, you have to be out by sunset
                            The park is owned by Baltimore city but is Leased to Anne Arundel county. The beach launch is not next to the pier(that used to be an old jet ski rental place years ago) it is on the Patapsco river side to the east of the ft. The property is now well taken care of and Hours of operation can be found under AA county parks and rec.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                              The park is owned by Baltimore city but is Leased to Anne Arundel county. The beach launch is not next to the pier(that used to be an old jet ski rental place years ago) it is on the Patapsco river side to the east of the ft. The property is now well taken care of and Hours of operation can be found under AA county parks and rec.
                              ohh thats good to know. thanks for that!
                              Michael
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Working...
                              X