Point Lookout Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout Today

I FINALLY caught a fish legal to keep. Went today to Point Lookout and launched At 9am to an outgoing tide. I caught three stripers. Two were just a little under 18 inches, so back they went. My keeper was 21 inches. We used many different lures betweeimage.jpgn two of us, but all fish were caught on a 12 Fathoms three inch red and gold with sparkles paddle tail. All fish were caught in 10 feet of water and the jig head was 1/8 oz red head with a metal blade attached to it.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

congrats on the keeper! nice looking fish
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Congrats on your Keeper. Did you fish the bay or the river side? Also were you trolling or casting?

Comment

Congrats on your catch! I'm probably fishing down that way mon eve & perhaps earlier if I can get away from work since today was a looong day.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
          Congrats on your Keeper. Did you fish the bay or the river side? Also were you trolling or casting?
          Thanks! I trolled. The keeper was caught against the seven or so rip rap beach breakers in the river ( along the beach) then I went around to the left out into the Bay towards the pier and caught a 17 inch striper.
          Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Peggy,

Congratulations on your catches.

12 Fathoms makes great plastics, especially the Fat Sam paddle tail which is what you may have been using. The stripers love them. I haven't kept a count but I suspect Fat Sam has attracted more stripers for me this year than any other lure.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Peggy,

Congratulations on your catches.

12 Fathoms makes great plastics, especially the Fat Sam paddle tail which is what you may have been using. The stripers love them. I haven't kept a count but I suspect Fat Sam has attracted more stripers for me this year than any other lure.
              Thanks, Mark. I did fail to mention that it was the 12Fathoms Fat SAMs I used to catch the fish. Hands up to John Veil for turning me on to them. I tried different colors today but it was the red and gold with sparkly flecks that caught the fish.
              Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Congrats on the keeper Peggy!! I have been eyeing up those Fat Sams for some time.
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                  Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Congrats on your keeper, good to see the keepers are starting to show up.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Congrats Peggy!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                        I did fail to mention that it was the 12 Fathoms Fat SAMs I used to catch the fish. Hands up to John Veil for turning me on to them. I tried different colors today but it was the red and gold with sparkly flecks that caught the fish.
                        Peggy - Congratulations on getting your first keeper striper. While you were catching stripers on that lure, I was using the identical lure to catch redfish and snook 1,000 miles to the south. That color pattern is called "Red Fish - H101" if you plan to order any. http://www.12fathom.com/prodintro.php. Producto Lures is a larger sister company to 12 Fathoms. Producto makes freshwater lures, while 12 Fathom makes saltwater versions. Some of their styles are identical in shape, but the 12 Fathom version uses a slightly more resistant plastic to hold up better to stronger saltwater species.

005.jpg

Those 3" Fat Sams are very effective. They also make a 4" version which visually looks much larger than the 3" version we have been using. I plan to get a few of those to try for trolling when the larger fish are around.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats Ms. Peggy. Looking forward to the next time.
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            Peggy - Congratulations on getting your first keeper striper. While you were catching stripers on that lure, I was using the identical lure to catch redfish and snook 1,000 miles to the south. That color pattern is called "Red Fish - H101" if you plan to order any. http://www.12fathom.com/prodintro.php. Producto Lures is a larger sister company to 12 Fathoms. Producto makes freshwater lures, while 12 Fathom makes saltwater versions. Some of their styles are identical in shape, but the 12 Fathom version uses a slightly more resistant plastic to hold up better to stronger saltwater species.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13539[/ATTACH]

Those 3" Fat Sams are very effective. They also make a 4" version which visually looks much larger than the 3" version we have been using. I plan to get a few of those to try for trolling when the larger fish are around.
                            Thanks John. I'll have to get some 4 inch Fat Sams for bigger fish. After going through the ones you gave me (blue fish killed them) I ordered the 3 inch Fat Sams in red fish, silk chartreuse, and glass minnow. The same Fat Sam lasted through three fish and is getting a little tired, but it is still usable, more than I can say for other products. The red jig head I used had an attached metal leaf, and maybe that helped too.
                            Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Congratulations! That first one is always a memory maker!

Comment

Working...
                              X