Top water bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top water bite

Launched down in St. Mary's County at 6 this morning...beautiful sunrise at 6:30...already had three landed...one word- EPIC...9 a.m. I am loaded up headed home, worn slam out...shoulders are killing me...gonna take a nap- Unbelievable- anything I tell you about the first two hours of daylight you will call me a liar, so I will just say the top water fishing was epic...3-5 pound bluefish, 17-20 inch stripers...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Glad to hear it. I'm hoping for similar results on this evening's high tide way up river.

Comment

I also was out and the topwater bite was on in Curtis creek caught a total of 13 walking the dog was hot biggest I got was 27 22 I'd post picks but don't know how

Comment

Oh I believe you, the last few days have been simply awesome. Had fish smashing plugs all the way back to the yak. Breathtaking sunrise this morning.
        surfacestrike2.jpgkeeper1.jpgkeeper2a.jpgbeforesunrise.jpg.
        2014 Hobie Pro Angler
        2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
          I also was out and the topwater bite was on in Curtis creek caught a total of 13 walking the dog was hot biggest I got was 27 22 I'd post picks but don't know how
          I'd love to see your pics. The attach image button is the 3rd button (square icon with image of a tree) from the right along the top of the reply window.
          2014 Hobie Pro Angler

Comment

I had success walking the dog in the back bays around Kent Island last weekend. Caught about a dozen stripers, about half of which were over 18". All fish were released.
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Launched down in St. Mary's County at 6 this morning...beautiful sunrise at 6:30...already had three landed...one word- EPIC...9 a.m. I am loaded up headed home, worn slam out...shoulders are killing me...gonna take a nap- Unbelievable- anything I tell you about the first two hours of daylight you will call me a liar, so I will just say the top water fishing was epic...3-5 pound bluefish, 17-20 inch stripers...
              Soak it in baby! I love days like that. These are the stories you'll tell forever. Congrats.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Nice!!!
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
                  I was using a chrome and yellow six inch "Chug Bug" popper on a 8' Heavy action W&McGill Blair Wiggins Flats Blue Rod with a Diawa Lexa 300 reel...wanted to tie on a Top Dog, but the action was so fast and furious, I didn't want to waste any time...only took one picture on my IPhone the entire two hours, afraid the fish would quit any minute...greedy, greedy...I had a pair of stainless long nose pliers for ripping the hooks out of fish sitting in my lap so I could quickly release and cast back into the boils of bait...you could not help but catch fish...and using a fiberglass stakeout pole on your anchor trolley allows you to stay in one place and bail them...

Comment

Amazing the difference a day makes. This morning the fish were there for maybe 10 minutes and then gone. Got 1 keeper rock and a blue before all the activity stopped. Tide was ripping and bait fish around, just no predators. Off the water around 930, but not because of tired arms. Oh well, that's fishing.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

One day means the tide is one hour different than the previos day, Mike...probably meant the peak bite was at 5:30 am...the tide was beginning to move at 6 yesterday...had three in the boat by 6:15 am...glad you got some, even if it only was for a short time...when they quit, they quit all of a sudden...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        One day means the tide is one hour different than the previos day, Mike...probably meant the peak bite was at 5:30 am...the tide was beginning to move at 6 yesterday...had three in the boat by 6:15 am...glad you got some, even if it only was for a short time...when they quit, they quit all of a sudden...
                        I experienced the same thing today, nothing biting as the same time yesterday. Went back to the topwater spot an hour later and it was on. The surface bite also lasted longer due to the overcast skies today.
                        2014 Hobie Pro Angler

Comment

the thrill of victory!! this report has some great results!! congrats guys!! those type of days are the reason we do what we do!! outstanding days on the water a nice reward for your efforts!!

Comment

Working...
                          X