Chincoteague/ VBI Launch Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteague/ VBI Launch Sites

I am heading to Chincoteague for the week of October 4-12. Looking to do some beach fishing and yak fishing. I know of 2 launch sites, Queens Sounds ramp and Memorial Park ramp. Is there any other launch sites that I have missed. Also thinking about heading down to Wachapreague for a VBI launch. Anybody know of any other VBI yak friendly launch areas besides Wachapreague or Kiptopeake State Park. Any input is welcome.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

There are a few more launches on CI. There is a launch right in town on Main Street, across from the fire station. It really is just a ramp, but I have launched there plenty of times. Also my favorite ramp is on east side drive next to the oyster company. It is pretty protected and puts you right in the back channels. Don't forget Tom's Cove on the beach, across from the life guard hut. just park on the bay side of the beach parking lot and drag your yak to the water. Although i have never done it in a yak, i don't see why you cant launch from Custis marina (end of main street). at that time of year, it would put you on the fish the fastest. There are a bunch more, but a pain to explain. Also, it's an island, so know your wind and pick your spot especially that time of year, for it will could mean the difference between a sloppy 2/3 day and glass.
    Also, remember you need a launch sticker, $10 at the police station for 10 days. In all my years I have never been checked, but twice in a week recently!
    Wachapreague is a cool spot, but it is a pretty good steam to get out there. I always end up taking my boat when I go there. They rent skiffs for about $100 if you need to go there. I would go to Jan's (Jaynes?) park which is about a half hour up from CI, or my favorite is across from Kipto, the eastern shore rec area. Great launches in both area, and totally cool exploring and fishing in both. ( Im messing up on the name for jans park, i just know where to turn, but next to chrisfield)
    Last edited by summersoff; 09-28-2014, 08:04 AM.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
      There are a few more launches on CI. There is a launch right in town on Main Street, across from the fire station. It really is just a ramp, but I have launched there plenty of times. Also my favorite ramp is on east side drive next to the oyster company. It is pretty protected and puts you right in the back channels. Don't forget Tom's Cove on the beach, across from the life guard hut. just park on the bay side of the beach parking lot and drag your yak to the water. Although i have never done it in a yak, i don't see why you cant launch from Custis marina (end of main street). at that time of year, it would put you on the fish the fastest. There are a bunch more, but a pain to explain. Also, it's an island, so know your wind and pick your spot especially that time of year, for it will could mean the difference between a sloppy 2/3 day and glass.
      Also, remember you need a launch sticker, $10 at the police station for 10 days. In all my years I have never been checked, but twice in a week recently!
      Wachapreague is a cool spot, but it is a pretty good steam to get out there. I always end up taking my boat when I go there. They rent skiffs for about $100 if you need to go there. I would go to Jan's (Jaynes?) park which is about a half hour up from CI, or my favorite is across from Kipto, the eastern shore rec area. Great launches in both area, and totally cool exploring and fishing in both. ( Im messing up on the name for jans park, i just know where to turn, but next to chrisfield)
      Thanks, that will give me lots of choices, normally I go down for the week and fish from the surf, hoping to mix it up this time.
      Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I assume you plan to surf fishing the VBI's? It is drumtember after all...

Wachapreague isn't too tough of a paddle but it is a long ride to the islands. I'd suggest riding the tide if you can to speed things up. The wife I did a couple years ago and camped out there. The east side of Dawson shoal (island in middle of Wachapreague inlet) and the north end of Parramore are prime spots for the surf. South Cedar isn't that great structure wise.

Another spot to try, and much closer to the mainland, is Gargatha Landing. Gives you access to south Assawoman, North Metompkin, or mid-Metompkin if you paddle down to the wash over. There is some great looking drum water along that stretch and a closer drive from Chincoteague.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          I assume you plan to surf fishing the VBI's? It is drumtember after all...

Wachapreague isn't too tough of a paddle but it is a long ride to the islands. I'd suggest riding the tide if you can to speed things up. The wife I did a couple years ago and camped out there. The east side of Dawson shoal (island in middle of Wachapreague inlet) and the north end of Parramore are prime spots for the surf. South Cedar isn't that great structure wise.

Another spot to try, and much closer to the mainland, is Gargatha Landing. Gives you access to south Assawoman, North Metompkin, or mid-Metompkin if you paddle down to the wash over. There is some great looking drum water along that stretch and a closer drive from Chincoteague.
          Thanks Bob, yes I would like to paddle out to some surf locations south of CI, plan on taking a few Surf rods one day, and doing some beach fishin as well. Like the idea of Gargatha Landing being closer to CI, don't want to spend a lot of time traveling, rather spend the time on the water. Yes my goal it is target the red drum. Since the OSV is closed, I am looking for alternate closer choices that will get me to VBI south of CI. Thanks for the info. Lets see what happens.
          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
          X