Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you guys have a favorite brand of leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you guys have a favorite brand of leader?

I got two packs of black wire leaders from BPS.. in short they suck. My complaint lies in the clip. It is hard to undo with your finger, and when you get it undone clipping it back up is difficult. About half the leaders I have used so far, the clip-receiver portion has gotten mangled to the point where I had to cut the whole thing off the line and start over with a fresh one, wasting time and energy in the kayak. I am wondering if you guys have a favorite brand.. or should I start the whole trial and error method.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I just use the Mustad ones from Walmart. Once I put one on a lure, I don't take it off usually.

Comment

What are you targeting that you need wire leaders?

Comment

I had the same problem with the offshore leaders from BPS. I bought new clips since I could use them for various quick change rigs.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I got them for Blues.. but honestly it keeps me from having to tie too many fisherman's knots.. my hope was to throw a leader on each rod and be able to easily swap out lures as necessary. THus far however the leaders have been pretty much a single use item.. I will try new clips or try a few from Anglers at some point.

Comment

Most times I tie direct but keep one rod setup with a clip to swap out plugs. I've tried several over the years and the one I've had the best luck with for the money is the Breakaway clips (prefer the smaller SL2 design). With these clips, lure change outs are a breeze and I'm to the point that I'm confident switching plugs without looking. Doing this is based on feel and really comes in handy when fishing in the dark. A similar design is the Tactical Anglers clip but they are a bit pricier.
            2014 Hobie Pro Angler
            2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Always carry needlenose tools to.. I normally have a small pair just incase....
              Maria
              GO RAVENS!!!
              D10 Ascend
              http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

I have been using a surgical needle driver (former surgical assistant) which is similar to a needle nose, but the leader still gets all bent up.

Comment

I bought premade leader in the past and had the same problem. Fish mainly salt. Now I make my own with stainless and crimps, no more problems.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

20# Seaguar fluorocarbon is all I use tied to 20# power pro braid.
                    I'll attach a quick change clip to rods being used for hard baits and use a loop knot on other rods also for quick changes.

You don't need steel leaders unless your targeting sharks or maybe some monster blues in the ocean.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I normally use 20# florocarbon leader all the time when fishing in the Bay. It seems to be resistant enough to bite-offs from smaller blues in the low teens or smaller. If bigger blues are in the area then I'll tie on an extra foot or two of 30# floro. After unhooking every blue I take an extra couple of seconds to check the leader for tooth marks and retie if needed. Bite-offs from blues are very rare when using this leader setup.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I was going to comment also. I think steel leaders are unnecessary unless fishing for sharks or toothy fish with quick strike rigs. I've caught a few musky without steel leader

Comment

I use the steel leaders because they last forever. I put a 3" one on a spoon and never have to take it off the spoon. I just swap lures out by their leader. I started using them in the bay when I started getting bite offs and shredded line catching blues. Cheap insurance for a $6 lure.

Comment

Working...
                          X