Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust me. I will get something - HRBT Sep 21, 2014

Fishing Log on Sep 21, 2014

First, I fished Back River for two hours. At 12:00AM, after thousands of mosquitoes bites in the dead calm water, I left for Willoughby boat ramp. I slept in the truck for 3 hours after seeing some puppy drums at the lighted sandy beach at the ramp.
    When I woke up. The flag at the ramp told me that "CBBT is out today". I drove to the CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Va) launch spot anyway, and found that it was almost impossible to launch the kayak.
    I counted between the waves. There was 90% chance, I and the kayak would be tumbled over by the waves in a few seconds. If I put the rods on the rod holders, it was clear that the rods might get broken when kayak gets tumbled over.
    I waited for 1.5 hours. It looked that the easterly wind would continue for a long time.
    Since I haven't fished HRBT, I drove to Willoughby boat ramp to explorer the grassy shore in the Willoughby Bay. I felt there would be many specks (speckled sea trout) and puppy drum (redfish, channel bass or red drum).
    It seems that I need at least 3 trips to go through the entire shoreline in Willoughby Bay. After catching 5 juvenile specks, I headed for the rock pile at HRBT (Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel) tunnel.

I caught a seagull. But Luckily I managed to release it without the major harm done to the poor bird.

I tried briefly for flounders without any bites.

Around the Rock pile, I bottomed fished with shrimp to catch any good eating fish - hopefully sheepshead.
    After catching many black sea bass, I caught a puppy drum right before I had to leave for home.

Fishing Log:
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Poor seagull... glad he got off with no injuries!

Are you using a gopro hero head mount?
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

You unhooked that bird like a pro. I've been lucky that they've hit the lures in that air but didn't catch the hooks. Bats too.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
        Poor seagull... glad he got off with no injuries!

Are you using a gopro hero head mount?
        I have an Olympus and a GoPro mounted on a plastic helmets (Styrofoam insert filled) each. There are few reasons I don't use the head strap:
        1. I take about 50-70 videos 1 min - 15 min. When a fish is on it takes longer if a camera is mounted on the head strap. I need to turn on, wait, start video, verify the video is started, wear the head strap. - The problem with the helmet strap is wearing head strap takes too long and is two hand operation - which is not good when a fish is on.
        2. Several times I drop the camera in the water. The helmet floats and is big enough to locate.

The problem:
        1. It is very hot in summer
        2. Wearing a whole day requires customized touch on the helmet. I completely reconfigured pads for my head. And I weight balanced the helmet - location of the camera on the camera

Here is my old video that shows the Olympus on A Helmet:

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
        X