No announcement yet.

Rigging My Profish Relaod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. The stock rudder is definitely the weak spot of the yak.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yeah, the only issue really is when the yak is lightly loaded. The rudder doesn't have as much bite in the water. But with the Ocean Kayak style one, it's got a lot of bite.

But I already had one. So to buy a new one might run you about 150 unless you get a machine shop to cut you one.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post

Then put the cover back on the scupper and run the power cable through the tackle pod into the inside where the battery can be kept. Seal up the power cable hole and figure out a way to secure the battery. If you use the kit, some straps are options are provided in the instructions. I wanted mine off to the side and in the rear of the tackle pod:
        What is the diameter of the tackle pod scupper cover?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Falcon Sail

I haven't update this in a while, but really, I haven't had to add anything to my kayak in a while. Since the fishing was tougher this year, I had to extend my range. I had the wind paddle sail, but it was really only good for about 90-100 degrees of wind. So I looked around and talked to the owner of Falcon Sails about his product. Long story short, he made me a custom sail with the Marine Corps logo on it. It's a 1 meter sail and I can sail into the wind with it.

Here is a video of me sailing into the wind with it.

Comment

Nice sail.. cool video.. how do you get the on screen display with the stats at the bottom? that's too cool

Comment

That does look sweet. How was the install? How hard is it to raise/lower on the water?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I did the video in PowerDirector in conjunction with the Sony ActionCam GPS function.

The install was quick, but because of where I wanted to mount it, I decided to reinforce the hull with some wood. That took a bit longer to do since I am not very good at working with wood. But if you just follow the directions supplied with the sail, it would take less than a couple hours to do.

The sail is super easy to raise and lower. It's on a pulley/backstay setup. I just have to lean forward and pull a cord. And it really is a very light sail, definitely less than 5 lbs. The mast will not bend either, all carbon fiber and very high quality. It is certainly higher quality than the fallen earth sails. I demo'ed one of them on another guys kayak and it felt clunky and heavy, plus you could see the boom and mast bending in the wind. I contemplated making my own based on that design, but when I saw the falcon sail and talked to the owner for a bit about them I decided to go with that instead. Glad I did; I hate buying lower quality things and having to turn around and upgrade later.

Comment

Working...
                X