Cold weather gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather gear

What do you guys usually wear in late fall and winter to keep warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donny B.
    OK Big Game Prowler

Check out http://chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com...k-fishing.html.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

waders and a rain jacket, has available inserts for a warmer jacket inside

wool socks

and a hoodie. jeans or sweat pants under the waders.. if its dec or january
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

My question as far as the waders are concerned is if you happen to capsize, wouldn't water enter the waters causing you to sink? I mean I've fished in rivers with waders and you always had to worry not to fall into a water hole which would fill your waders with water and cause you to sink.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a big concern yes. I've seen wader pants now.. which I may look into. Not sure.
          Zach Moore
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I'm planning on using my Goretex chest waders and put my short sleeve dry top over them. That's as close to a drysuit as you can get without spending $500 on the real thing...from what I've read. I've been in the water with the dry top early in the year, and managed to survive. It was dang cold and the longest few minutes of my life.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

That's basically what I use.. except they r the gortex waders so my feet are in neoprene .. and a gortex jacket. I may look into the frog togg wader pants.. which belt off at the waist. . They r around 70 I believe
              Zach Moore
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                That's basically what I use.. except they r the gortex waders so my feet are in neoprene .. and a gortex jacket. I may look into the frog togg wader pants.. which belt off at the waist. . They r around 70 I believe
                Yeah my Goretex waders have neoprene booties also. They're Sims Freestone. I've never used them on the kayak, but I think they will be good.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

If your waders are not super baggy when you hit the water, the pressure will push the air out and seal. If water comes in from you kicking your legs to swim its minimal. When i go out in colder water i always keep a dry bag with gym pants, towel, socks and a shirt to change just incase.
                  Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                  -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                  -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I have went the drytop with waders route. Drytop on the outside of the waders. Once my PFD is on which fits very snug I think any water leakage into the actual waders will be minimal if I can get back in the kayak fairly quick. Here is a link to a video with a real world test of drysuit, waders with drytop and just waders, pretty interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo

Here is also post on StriperOnline by local Bob Mullet Miller testing the waders/drytop setup and an online discussion. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/5288...-demonstration

Don't get me wrong I would definitely like to go the full drysuit route but the cost is very prohibitive and I don't do enough cold water fishing to make it seem worthwhile. Yes I know I'm risking my life to a certain extent but I'm a cheap @ss and make similar decisions in other areas of my life as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                      I have went the drytop with waders route. Drytop on the outside of the waders. Once my PFD is on which fits very snug I think any water leakage into the actual waders will be minimal if I can get back in the kayak fairly quick. Here is a link to a video with a real world test of drysuit, waders with drytop and just waders, pretty interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo

Here is also post on StriperOnline by local Bob Mullet Miller testing the waders/drytop setup and an online discussion. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/5288...-demonstration

Don't get me wrong I would definitely like to go the full drysuit route but the cost is very prohibitive and I don't do enough cold water fishing to make it seem worthwhile. Yes I know I'm risking my life to a certain extent but I'm a cheap @ss and make similar decisions in other areas of my life as well.
                      I'm glad "he" did the test. I've done the Polar Bear plunge while it was snowing at SPSP, that took a good bit of liquid encouragement.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mdfisherman57 View Post
                        My question as far as the waders are concerned is if you happen to capsize, wouldn't water enter the waters causing you to sink? I mean I've fished in rivers with waders and you always had to worry not to fall into a water hole which would fill your waders with water and cause you to sink.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
                        That's what a wader belt is for. To keep them from filling up with water.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          I'm glad "he" did the test. I've done the Polar Bear plunge while it was snowing at SPSP, that took a good bit of liquid encouragement.
                          I really do want to test my setup. Ought to do it about now as I would like to know how it holds up in the real world. Hate to find out it don't work so well in 40 degree water.

Comment

I did a test fit with my waders and dry top, I think I'll be good. Although, I think a long sleeve dry top would be better.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                              I really do want to test my setup. Ought to do it about now as I would like to know how it holds up in the real world. Hate to find out it don't work so well in 40 degree water.
                              Yeah, I should get in the water with mine to be sure/confident while it's still warm.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X