No announcement yet.

Cold weather gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great read. I have no intention of fishing too late in the year but would like to extend the season a bit (since I am just not getting a Kayak). I had these same questions. One thing that wasn't covered well was the feet. The one article talked about neoprene or rubber boots..

What do you guys do for you feet? DO you use waterproof hiking style boots? Especially since you have to get a little wet at launch and when you come in...

I was looking at some things in BassPro today actually.. for 100 each (top and bottom) you can get some good water proof pants and jacket, but I don't think the top was a "dry top".. instead it was more of a waterproof sports jacket.

The GoreTex stuff looked nice too, but it was major 'spensive.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
      This is a great read. I have no intention of fishing too late in the year but would like to extend the season a bit (since I am just not getting a Kayak). I had these same questions. One thing that wasn't covered well was the feet. The one article talked about neoprene or rubber boots..

What do you guys do for you feet? DO you use waterproof hiking style boots? Especially since you have to get a little wet at launch and when you come in...
      My waders are stocking foot with a neoprene stocking built in. Over that I wear a pair of these Bass Pro Neprene Flats Boots.
      http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Flats-Boots-for-Men/product/55184/cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=QA_PSVP&cm_pla=55184&cm_ ite=productname_link
      I have only been out once when it was fairly cold and don't remember my feet getting cold at all. I do belive I may have layered two pairs of just normal socks under the waders.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post

I was looking at some things in BassPro today actually.. for 100 each (top and bottom) you can get some good water proof pants and jacket, but I don't think the top was a "dry top".. instead it was more of a waterproof sports jacket.

The GoreTex stuff looked nice too, but it was major 'spensive.
        My waders have neoprene booties attached, so for footwear will be slip-on flip-flops at launch/landing. Then take them off and just peddle with my wader "stockings".

A dry top has gaskets at the waist, arms and neck. It's not a rain jacket.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
          What do you guys usually wear in late fall and winter to keep warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://kokatat.com/products/dry-suit...-suit-men.html

Best option but expensive. You can get them cheaper on ebay with very minor defects.

Comment

There is a common misconception that if your waders fill up you can sink. Totally untrue. The water in your waders is no heavier than the water surrounding you. What the water will do however is make you cold very fast...speeding up the onset of hypothermia, and it will also make it very difficult to reenter your kayak. Try swinging your leg or pulling yourself up onto the kayak if there is a gallon or more of water in each leg. Each gallon of water adds about 8 lbs to each leg. It doesn't sound like much, but it is. A wader belt should help prevent a lot of water getting into your waders...a dry top with wader belt is even better. Personally I prefer a drysuit, but they are not inexpensive.

If the water is cold, skip any clothing with cotton in it. That means hoodies, socks, sweatshirts, etc. Cotton loses most of it's insulating value when wet. It also takes FOREVER to dry. You'll lose precious body heat if you go in wearing cotton. Think instead about quick dry poly type clothing in layers. UnderArmour, Polartec, Mysterioso, and others make some really good, lightweight clothing.

Comment

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                There is a common misconception that if your waders fill up you can sink. Totally untrue. The water in your waders is no heavier than the water surrounding you. What the water will do however is make you cold very fast...speeding up the onset of hypothermia, and it will also make it very difficult to reenter your kayak. Try swinging your leg or pulling yourself up onto the kayak if there is a gallon or more of water in each leg. Each gallon of water adds about 8 lbs to each leg. It doesn't sound like much, but it is. A wader belt should help prevent a lot of water getting into your waders...a dry top with wader belt is even better. Personally I prefer a drysuit, but they are not inexpensive.
                Thanks for the post. I can't stress enough how important the wader belt is. I used to spend a lot of time on the water during the winter trapping southern Dorchester County wearing waders and have done the test myself as well. It's damn near impossible to get back in the boat if your waders fill up with water because you didn't have a wader belt on. Add in cold water, cold air, and time until you can be rescued and you can find yourself in a bad spot very quick. Wear the belt and your pfd every time! I lost a coworker several years ago that didn't have a belt on his waders or his pfd on when he went overboard. Very sad when it could have been avoided by taking a few safety precautions .
                Brian

Comment

I finally settled on BassPro 100MPG GoreTex Rain Bibs and their HPR Bone-dry waterproof jacket. I went for the bibs instead of waders to avoid the water issue. I then use neoprene booties for my feet. I put my PFD under the suspenders and under my jacket in case I need to take them off if I go in. Under the jacket and bibs I can put on whatever thermal layers I want. It has worked well for me. I tried the HPR Bone Dry bibs too because they are cheaper but I felt wet in them, it was probably just cold more than wet. But to ensure that my ass stayed dry I took them back and got the more epensive bibs but kept the jacket which seems to work fine.

Comment

My cold weather gear setup is similar to MetroMan's. Kotatat Tempest pants, Bomber Gear semi-dry top, and lots of layers underneath. I pull a pair of NRS Hydroskin wet socks over the built-in pant booties to keep sand abrasion from creating a hole. Then I put on a cheap pair of summer weight water shoes. By the time I add my gloves and beanie, my kids stop introducing me to their friends as "dad," and start calling me "that guy who is in no way related to them."
                    Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I have kokatat dry pants and a dry top. Also have a nrs 3l drysuit for really cold weather.

Comment

Working...
                      X