October meet and greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October meet and greet

It is time to start thinking of the October Meet and Greet, South River. The date is Saturday, October 11. The after fishing lunch location will be at the Smoke House. This is pretty much the same as last year. The NOAA chart to look at is 12270, http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12270.shtml. Zoom in on the mouth of the South River and the Thomas Point area, which will cover the most popular areas to fish. Don't overlook the North side of Thomas Point, a very good area, given the right weather. I will be posting all other information, such as directions, on this first post.

Directions to launch:

For those with GPS or for MapQuest: The marina entrance is between the addresses of 133 Bayview East and 135 Bayview East, Annapolis, MD 21403. There is a yellow gate, drive down to the end to the log, and that is where the launch will be. I will be there early, about 6am, and let folks in before the gate opens. The gate is on a timer and opens when there is sufficient daylight. After that time, you can just drive in. Look for the vehicles with kayaks and racks. Please try to park on the open water side of the marina parking area, so people can get to their boat slips. Please do not park in the loading zone or the fire lane.

Verbal Directions. For those coming from the Eastern Shore or points East, take Rt 50, Exit 22, near Annapolis, to Aris T. Allen Blvd., which is Rt. 665.

For those coming from the West, take Rt. 50, Exit 22, near Annapolis, to Aris T. Allen Blvd., which is Rt. 665.

For those coming from the South, take Rt. 2 and Exit onto Rt. 665, South, towards Annapolis.

At this point everyone should be on the same page.

Take Rt. 665 towards Annapolis, South. Continue on Rt. 665. You will start to see traffic signals, that is where the road changes name to Forest Dr. Continue on Forest Dr. for about three or so miles. You will come to the intersection Hillsmere Dr. and Forest Dr. There will be a Shell Station on your left and an Exxon station on your right. Turn right onto Hillsmere Dr. Go about two miles to the end of Hillsmere Dr. From there you can see the river. Turn left onto Bayview East. Continue till you come to the addresses of 133 and 135. In between those addresses there is a yellow gate. That is the entrance to the marina.

OK, that should be simple. If mapquest zig-zags you through some of the community streets, that is OK, you will come to the same outcome. For some reason mapquest tends to do that. I don't think there was much problem with folks getting lost last year.

As you go out from the launch, you will want to go right, which is towards the open river.

The lunch location is at the Smoke House, which is located in the shopping center, at the intersection of Forest Drive and Hillsmere Dr, where you turned right to travel to the launch location. As you head back out of Hillsmere Drive, the shopping center entrance will be on your right, just before the traffic light.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM.

Exciting - just curious what's the launch site location?

Comment

I'm in for fishing & lunch.
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
        Exciting - just curious what's the launch site location?
        It is in Hillsmere Shores, Annapolis. It is a private launch at the Hillsmere Harbor. It is a sandy beach type of launch. We have met here over the last several years in October. On the chart, the actual launch location is at the little point that juts out near where Duvall Creek opens to the South River. The little point there is actually formed in part by the jetty.

Comment

How's the parking down in that part of Annapolis? I know the traffic on Forest Drive can be a trial.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

There is a parking lot at the marina.

Comment

Gotta make this one!!!

Comment

Had a great time last year at this event but can't make it this time. I'd like to fish PLO but don't know where to launch from. Is the a public launch area near by? BT beach is sort of close.
                PigPen - Mt Airy
                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Is there a launch fee?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    Is there a launch fee?
                    No, there is no launch fee. This is a community ramp where I live. There is a boat harbor in the community. We launch there.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      No, there is no launch fee. This is a community ramp where I live. There is a boat harbor in the community. We launch there.
                      Sweet! Looking forward to it.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Any trailer parking near the launch?
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

It is actually a sandy beach area, where we launch for the meet and greet. Depending on the size of trailer, you may have to lift the kayak off the trailer to launch it. I used to disconnect my trailex trailer and use it like a dolly on the same sandy area, to launch my Pro-Angler 14. The short answer is, yes there is parking for trailers. It is a rather large parking area. In the past we have had some 20 or so kayakers during the meet and greet with room left over for parking. The only thing between the parking area and the sandy beach area is a log, or telephone pole, laying on the ground as a separation. I just used to wheel my trailer around the end of the log. Catamaran sailors do the same thing in this same area.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            It is actually a sandy beach area, where we launch for the meet and greet. Depending on the size of trailer, you may have to lift the kayak off the trailer to launch it. I used to disconnect my trailex trailer and use it like a dolly on the same sandy area, to launch my Pro-Angler 14. The short answer is, yes there is parking for trailers. It is a rather large parking area. In the past we have had some 20 or so kayakers during the meet and greet with room left over for parking. The only thing between the parking area and the sandy beach area is a log, or telephone pole, laying on the ground as a separation. I just used to wheel my trailer around the end of the log. Catamaran sailors do the same thing in this same area.
                            Sounds good. I don't use the trailer to launch. Just use it to transport. I have wheels to get to the waters edge.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I added the directions to the launch on the first thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X