The importance of electronics on a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of electronics on a kayak

I have been using a color FF/GPS on my kayak for the past three years. I use both functions regularly to give me information about where I am at a particular time, how fast I am moving, how deep it is, and where I have been. Today I used an older kayak that I have not used too often this summer. Even though it had a transducer and power cord on it, allowing me to move my FF/GPS unit from my primary kayak, I decided not to bother. 45 minutes into the trip, I was kicking myself for leaving it behind.

On my way to a primary target area, I trolled through an area with no birds or anything else that suggested feeding fish. Two of my four rods went down resulting in a 12" and 16" bluefish. By the time I got them unhooked, I had drifted away from where I had hooked them. With the GPS, I could have looked at my track and paddled around to intersect the precise same area. Without the electronics, I had to try to do this by guessing -- and I must have guessed wrong, since I had no more bites over the next 20 mins.

I have trolled three times over the past few weeks out of Goodhands Creek ramp. My plan on those days was to stay in water of 2 ft to 4 ft depth. I watched my FF closely and if I strayed from those depths, I turned to recover the desired depth. I also watched my track on the GPS screen. I knew which areas had provided bites. I could focus on those areas and pass through them many times. By using both features of my electronics (often in split screen mode) I definitely improved my odds of catching fish. And the results of those three trips proved that my plan was successful (over 20 stripers on each outing).

If you are looking for specific underwater features (lumps, holes, dropoffs, debris piles or wrecks) you can get close by eyeballing, but you can get right there if you have the correct electronics and take the time to learn how to use them. For those who are looking to get electronics for your kayaks, I encourage you to spend a bit more and get a unit that offers both sonar and GPS. Your fishing will be easier and better informed if you have good information and pay attention to what the machine tells you.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks John! After reading Alan's book this point is hitting home more and more. I have a basic unit and often have found myself in the same position as you mentioned. My next question is to everyone - what FF models with the features you mentioned (sonar+GPS) are people's top picks? Let's say in the $400 range?
    Thanks,
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I mentioned a few weeks ago that West Marine had a high quality Lowrance HDS-5 Second Gen unit with transducer and Nautic Insight mapping data included on sale for $400. I have that unit on my center console and have an older, slower version of a similar machine on my kayak. I believe they extended the sale price for a few weeks into Sept.

I came very close to buying another one of those for my kayak and selling the older unit. Lowrance also has the Elite series that has been popular with many of our members.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I just upgraded to the Elite 5 HDI and love it, still learning the ropes, but so far so good. The only trouble I had was were to place the bigger and wider transducer. Won't fit in a scupper hole.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

They're nice to have but certainly not a necessity.

Personally, and maybe it's just the style of fishing I do, but I feel I haven't really found myself at a handicap yet not having a FF on board. I guess I've learned to read surface disturbances, wave heights, shoreline topography, and other nuances to figure out what's going on down below. Sure, there are times I think it would have been helpful, but not having it hasn't made any trips unsuccessful yet.

Maybe one day I'll get one and see what I'm missing.
          Brian

Comment

I don't have one either, primarily due to my aversion of drilling holes in my kayak. But John's points are well taken.

I have to say that when I am with folks who have electronics I often ask them how deep the water is. I file those data points in my brain. But of course tide changes and memory failures (at my age getting more common) can invalidate that approach.

Thus far my fellow kayakers have been kind of enough to answer my depth queries.

However if they want to force the issue with me they should tell me to look at my fish finder!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

An alternative consideration is the Navionics app which is about $20 with the Sonarcharts upgrade. Iphone only at this point. It works quite well. If you look at the Navionics website or app, you can see the bottom detail and use it to identify areas with structure. It doesn't show you hard bottom or tree limbs or side scan that a FF might if it truly has that capability.

I can use mine for about 5 hours and still have about 50% battery (the screen is not on all the time). Needless to say, a waterproof case is essential.

For those of you with FF/GPS it could be a nice back up.

Just a thought.

Comment

Navionics is on Android too.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I have to say that when I am with folks who have electronics I often ask them how deep the water is. I file those data points in my brain. But of course tide changes and memory failures (at my age getting more common) can invalidate that approach.
                  I certainly do this too
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                    Navionics is on Android too.
                    That must be fairly recent. Thanks for posting. Good to know. Could make alot of folks happy.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and the extra lures today! Both were tremendously valuable to me, i ended up catching five striper 14", a chain pickerel, and two blue fish-12". The striper was my personal best, and I had not caught a blue fish yet this summer, so I was all smiles after that. The advice about maintaining my depth was really helpful to me as well. This was definitely the best fishing day I've had in a while!

-What was the name of the book that you had mentioned to me that covered a lot of the basics of trolling and etc.? I'd love to have a read at that.

Hope to see ya on the water again soon!

Jake
                      IMG_20140917_151818.jpg
                      J

Comment

I've got Navionics on my I phone and use it all the time, just not on the yak. Navionics does not offer drop offs and structure. Being and experienced Surf Fisherman and a newbie to the art of yak fishing and navigating unfamiliar waters, the little bit I have learned so far has been finding drop offs, water depths, structures, temp variations and fishing the areas that possibly fish may be is a big advantage. As far as I am concerned any edge is better than no edge. The experienced anglers that knows the waters they have fished for years probably aren't as dependent on electronics. But if your not experienced and looking for any advantage to catch fish, you can't go wrong with electronics. All you need to do is figure out the learning curve. So far I have had better luck with bait verses artificial.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Lowrance EXTREME HDI 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Elite 4 HDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i used to think a fish finder was worthless for anything but the depth.

but as john states, being able to mark way points is game changing if you have never used it before.
                              Esp since ive been fishing reservoirs lately seeing drop offs, marking them, seeing bait balls, circling them to look for structure.

GPS has been clutch.. fished a tournament on the occaquan, and just kept beating the shore line going back and forth and i looked up and had NO idea where I was.. everything looked the same. The gps got me back for weigh in.

im now saving up for a elite 7 but i may wait for the chirp transducer
                              Zach Moore
                              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                              X