Hawg Trough crate mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawg Trough crate mount

I got a milk crate from “FL Boy” last weekend, time to start “rigging it”. For starters was a mount for my Hawg Trough. I’ve seen lots of different solutions people have come up with for this subject, but came up with something completely off the wall for mine.

Since I had some PVC laying around from the “Rocket Launcher” build, I wanted to use those materials if I could. As it turns out, I think I came up with good way to do it.

Four pieces of PVC, two 1.25” at 5.5” long and two 1/2”, one 6” long, one 7” long. I wanted it “Square”, but the way the openings on the crate are, it ended up wider at the top, thus the 7” piece there, and the 6” piece for the bottom.

Here’s the pieces:

Put the pieces inside each other, and run the bungie through, then tie. Having the pieces inside each other gives enough slack to tie the knots. For this I used a single “Fisherman’s Bend”, with a stopper knot outside each, just to keep each knot from being able to unroll.

Pull the pieces apart, there will be “some” tension, and mounted to the crate with stainless hose clamps. I mocked it up with the hose clamps pointed out, then marked the bands so I could cut the tag ends off. Final assembly with the screws on the inside of the large diameter PCV, so it should be less for stray fishing line/hooks to get caught on.

How it looks with the Hawg Trough in place while the crate sits on the floor.

In the tankwell of my Outback.

Notice, I also found a bungied place to put my hand gaff, so it stays in easy reach and the tip shouldn’t impale me by accident.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Thats a pretty good idea.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Comment

Picked up some Plano boxes to go in the crate too. Much better than the 20+ year old tackle box I'd been using on the kayak.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Looks good. There is a tremendous amount of creativity and innovation among our members.

Those waterproof Plano trays are wonderful. That is all I use on my kayaks now. Now your next challenge is convincing yourself that you don't really need three large trays of tackle for a single trip .
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Looks good. There is a tremendous amount of creativity and innovation among our members.

Those waterproof Plano trays are wonderful. That is all I use on my kayaks now. Now your next challenge is convincing yourself that you don't really need three large trays of tackle for a single trip .
          Very nice design! And, John, you're right about those three large trays of tackle...he's going to need at least four more!
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice job there! Is that specifically for the Hawg Trough only?

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

I have one more, not in the crate.

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
              Very nice design! And, John, you're right about those three large trays of tackle...he's going to need at least four more!
              Thanks, I'm always looking to improve on convenience.

Originally posted by Goody View Post
              Nice job there! Is that specifically for the Hawg Trough only?
              Could be for anything, I made it for the Hawg Trough, but could repurpose it for anything that fits.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

that looks good.

i like the red color as well

you should spray the white pvc red to.
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Very creative Carter!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                    that looks good.

i like the red color as well

you should spray the white pvc red to.
                    I have some red paint left, but I'm going to leave it nekid for now.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      Very creative Carter!
                      Thank man!
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Nice design! I take it there is enough of an opening up top that you just push the HT down with one hand and the tension holds it?

I'm wondering if I have enough clearance to do that same thing (but horizontally) on my crate.
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Hawg Trough crate mount

Yeah, just slide it in, the horizontal tubes move to accommodate

I wish it had a little more tension, but it holds fine...in the garage. Lol

We'll see how it does on the water. I don't think it can fall out, but if it rattles from wind or waves, I might have to change it a little.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

"Off the wall," well yes, but a great idea. Simplicity has its place. I may try this one myself.

Comment

Very creative.
                              I'm pretty sure they invented pvc tubing just for kayak fishermen.
                              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X