Not what I expected for my 1st yak trolling fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not what I expected for my 1st yak trolling fish

I hit the susky flats yesterday afternoon. I certainly didn't expect my 1st fish caught trolling to be a smallie. Nothing huge at 15" but a new PB for me and even at 15" they put up a great fight. But even more surprising was the catfish I caught not even 200 yards later. Both hit an x-rap trolling 6-7' of water.

Not a hugely productive few hours but it felt damn good to get back out there after 2 months.
    Mike

Congrats Mike and thank you for the update, I may have to check out the area soon.
    Maria
    GO RAVENS!!!
    D10 Ascend
    http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

I'd think the salinity of the Flats is increasing daily since the Conowingo Dam hasn't generated much since Friday... and that was just a short couple of hours at most. Smallmouth can't tolerate as much salty water as largemouth can. So yeah, I'd say right now that catching a smallie on the Flats is not a common occurrence. How clear was the water?
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Where did you launch from? I'm planning on heading out Friday morning. I'm leaning towards Tydings though I've never launched there before.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Congrats Mike! I catch more sallies than stripers when I'm trolling out of lapidum. I usually pass twin rocks and start zigzagging from east to west with smaller fatter crankbaits.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Howard - Water clarity was maybe to 2', maybe a little better deep into the weeds. It didn't seem all that dirty to me, just tinted too brown for the light to shine through.

Reel-em-in - I learned from others to launch from Tydings for the flats. Perryville has a launch with a shorter paddle to the flats but I live in Harford Co and just take the shorter drive and no toll. The other launch in HDG under the railroad bridge offers good access to the river and deeper water. It also sees very little boat traffic compared to the ramp at Tydings (I've had to wait in line and rush once or twice at Tydings). Both launches are free for car-top. If you do launch from Tydings this time of year, you will want to paddle out to the left and past the bulkhead to avoid the emmense weeds and super shallow water that sits straight out from the ramp. I tried that early Saturday morning and struggled a bit on low tide, almost had to get out of the yak when I started getting stuck.
            Mike

Comment

With the cooler temps that area should be turning on in the next couple of weeks.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
              X