No announcement yet.

Duck Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a look at the public lands around Taylors Island and off of Elliots Island Rd, on the shore. I used to duck hunt those areas all the time and did pretty well. I used a Ghennoe or a duck boat back then with no problem. Of course, when my last pair of dogs got old and died, I gave it up. I hunted mostly for the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      Take a look at the public lands around Taylors Island and off of Elliots Island Rd, on the shore. I used to duck hunt those areas all the time and did pretty well. I used a Ghennoe or a duck boat back then with no problem. Of course, when my last pair of dogs got old and died, I gave it up. I hunted mostly for the dogs.
      Those areas can be tough to hunt without a dog. If the duck's not dead in the water - good luck finding it without a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
        Those areas can be tough to hunt without a dog. If the duck's not dead in the water - good luck finding it without a dog.
        ... a GOOD dog at that.

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
          Travis, I am not in your area, but all tidal areas are part of the "blind Site" rules. Meaning you go to the August raffle drawing and try and get yourself a spot to hunt. It's always better when you go with with several people to get better results. This is in the tidal areas. The Potomac, in non-tidal areas is considered floating blind system. Meaning you can hunt anywhere "allowable". Allowable means not with in 250 yards of a blind site someone got because they own an island or something. Or certain areas of Montgomery County or where Brunswick own the bottom of the river, ect.

Since your later in the season, are new to this, don't have decoys, I would recommend you ask on message boards, but not this one. Duckhuntingchat in the Maryland forum and I am the Mod in there, and the Refugeforums in the Chesapeake forum. Make sure you tell people if you as USN and active duty, it helps, as they know people are displaced from being relocated. Check the DNR website also as there is blinds you can apply to get for a day that are accessible by only boat, but you'll need some decoys, or someone that does have some. But I would ask on the two forums first. There are a certain few things you need to be taught, like sit still and don't be a swivel head. How to call and a couple other things, but it's not that hard, but can be very frustrating just starting on your own.

Good luck and I'll look for your posts on DHC as it will be easier to sign up for.
          Thanks for the info, I will definitely check those sites out. This being my first time doing this and after getting the information from the people on this site so far, it sounds more difficult than I thought. I'm considering now looking into a guided hunt for this year just to see how I like it then maybe invest the money and pursue it more next season, or if I could get hooked up with someone willing to take a newbie out with them.
          Travis
          Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Orange Old Town NEXT
          USN

Comment

Also, I have a really good dog that can be used for tracking and running. He's finished on tracking, and about %80 on running. He's the best tracking dog of any I have seen or owned. He will find anything, even a week old trail. He's not as big on retrieving though (only about 50%), but I can use the yak for that. I'm looking to find a good retriever breeder while I am over here. I'm sure there are good breeders in this state with all the duck hunting to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
              I'm looking to find a good retriever breeder while I am over here. I'm sure there are good breeders in this state with all the duck hunting to be done.
              Try duckhunting chat or the refuge and ask about. I know a guy Bob Mattey on the shore that just had a litter of non-papered full blooded Chessies. He has A Good papered female that got accidentally bred to a rescue chessie he adopted. PM me if you want me to send your info to him. He had 4 males left at last I saw. Most breeders want $750 to $1000 for Lab pups from stock. I got mine for $500 but I know how to pick dogs and showed up with a Pheasant wing to test their noses and interest in stuff like that.

A good breed line is great but the trainer makes the dog as long as it just has drive and good qualities! Dogs with titles come from good trainers and good owners knowing how to reinforce the training. An average dog can get a title after being with a good trainer. Good stock is just a base line and if you or your trainer are not good, the dog will not be good. But you sound as if you have a foundation in training.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I can agree with that! I got an excellent upland bird dog breeder back home in KY. And I been training dogs my whole life as hunting partners. No parlor tricks, but in the spirit of football, my release command is "omaha" and/or a tap on the noggin.

I'm gonna need a female next. But I am going to get a lab. Chessies are nice and hardy but a bit big for what I need and I heard they can be a tad stubborn. Even though stubborn can be fixed, big can't.

Comment

Here is a list of litters in your area from the Retriever club. I don't know anything about the breeders, but a lot of them have OFA hips listed.

I personally like Labs better also as its my house buddy most. Chesapeake's are probably better hunting stock, but Lab's are friendlier. Plus like you said, my wife wanted a smaller one this time.
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

It may also help to look at litters from NAHRA clubs. You really want to choose from proven hunting stock. There is so much to picking a pup. Try to get in on a litter where you get an early pick. Of course my best dog ever was by chance. The breeder was a field trial person. Her husband wanted a pup from the litter for hunting but really didn't know if he had time to train the dog due to work. I was going to get a dog from the litter if he didn't want his pick. At the very last moment he decided that he didn't have time for a new dog. So, I got the dog. He proved to be the best dog, both in water and upland. He was just the perfect all around hunting dog. He as a black lab. The breeders really know how to pick the dogs. So if you don't get an early pick, be careful. Apparently, I got that dog after the breeder had chosen the pup for her husband. When her husband eventually backed out, I got a choice selection.

Aside from being with the pups and looking at their attitude and activity. Look in to the sire and dam. If one is an outstanding hunter, try to choose a pup that resembles that parent dog, as best you can, along with the pup's personality. An old rule of thumb is to get the pup at 7 weeks old, that is when a pup is perfect for bonding to a human. Good luck.

Comment

I think its hard to choose pups as they are rotund fur balls at that age. I went with a Pheasant wing and use the motion and scent for choosing mostly. I did try and look at shape, but she turned out smaller than I thought she would, but the wife is happy with that. The good news our dog has one hell of a nose and naturally watches birds all day and never had to be taught. She was the one in the litter that wanted to smell the wing the most and keyed on its movements the most. Over 1/2 of the pups couldn't of cared about the wing and I let them go to other homes.

Comment

I do the same (grouse wing). Hold them on their backs, let them play with mom, watch them for a few hours, etc. The one I got now was the fattest, slowest, biggest one of the litter; but he had a heart shaped pattern on his side, so I got overruled by the wife. Now he is the most toned, fastest, best nose of the litter, and already has three titles. It's a gamble every time, but yeah, good parents typically make good pups. Mine got his TD/TDX when he was 9 months old and his VST when he was right at 1 year old. That nose came from his pop, a CT SH.

Comment

That pup was probably the biggest and fattest because he eat faster than the other pups, or was more dominate and eat more. The biggets one out of my dogs litter did not get any bigger than her. That is why I said it's hard to choose them as fat little butterballs. Glad you got a good one.

Comment

I'm new to duck hunting as well, and that's the reason besides fishing I want to get into kayaking. It should be able to get me to and from a blind and retrieve birds. My biggest hurdles are trying to find dry wear big enough and affordable

Comment

I don't know your sizes, but sales will start in January maybe as many bought stuff by then. Watch Sierra Trading post and watch everywhere for sales. I use waste waders (cabelas) $120 and an Imersion Research dry top with neoprene neck I got for $140 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                                I don't know your sizes, but sales will start in January maybe as many bought stuff by then. Watch Sierra Trading post and watch everywhere for sales. I use waste waders (cabelas) $120 and an Imersion Research dry top with neoprene neck I got for $140 years ago.
                                I just received my semi-dry top by IR a day it fits pretty good. Paid $175

Comment

Working...
                                X