Duck Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Hunting

I know this isn't about kayak fishing, I was wondering if anyone on here duck hunts and would be willing to show someone new the ropes. I have never been but I have always wanted to and I know MD is one of the best duck and goose hunting states. I was thinking about attempting this from my PA possibly, I just don't know how to call or have any decoys.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Just some advice, study the rules before you go. Just like anything else they can be a bit confusing at first, I haven't done this from a Kayak yet and not sure I would try it. Go with someone, most of the best hunting is in colder weather so the "Buddy System" is vital. Decoys can be purchased from most sport stores. Finding a Farm to hunt if you are going the land route will be expensive and most have already been leased out. For your first few trips find a good guide to go with, they will provide decoys and a farm with blinds. You can check with Anglers near the Bay Bridge to recommend a guide service to you or one of the sport stores near you, talk with some folks that you know to recommend one. After that try to find a club to join with some folks that you know if you plan to do a lot of waterfowl hunting it will pay off in the long run.
    Good Luck in your search.
    eyedaddy

Comment

Probably not a good idea to duck hunt from the kayak. You will generally be the only boat on the water and the water will be cold. Try the land route.

Comment

I've duck hunted from mine and done well the couple times I've gone. Just like fishing in the winter, you need to take extra caution due to the temps. I live in Wicomico County, where we have thousands upon thousands of acres of public land. Some of it is big water and some areas are small creeks no more than 20 yards across. First and foremost, I would suggest going with a buddy. Secondly, youll want some type of dry suit or dry top/bottoms. I layer like crazy under my dry top and bottoms. Then I put a super light weight Under Armour rain suit over top of that for camo, since my dry top/bottom are bright green. In addition, you'll want a radio to call for help if things go bad.

If you have a PA, you're going to be pretty stable with amble room. I'd reccommend putting two anchors (one for the bow and one for the stern) on board to hold you tight to the bank. Denpending on where you hunt depends on what decoys you will need. Thats a whole separate issue, so you will just have to do a little research there. If youre hunting river ducks like black heads, canvasbacks or buffleheads, you wont need to call. Just having a raft of decoys out will do the trick. Puddle ducks, like mallards, black ducks, or gadwalls will take a little more skill in the calling department.

You will also want to cover your yak somehow. Ive toyed around with the idea of running two pieces of rope or thin wire from the bow to the stern from each one of the PA handles. In the middle of the yak, I would affix a piece of PVC (about 12 inches high). It would mount into my scotty flush mounts. If you drill a hole at the top of the pipe you can run the wire through to elevate it some. Gander Mtn sells sheets of reed grass that will drape over each wire or rope to conceal your ride a little better.

If you check out the Hobie Kayak Fishing facebook page, you'll see where a guy went all out on his PA. Lots of PVC, tons of grass. Looks great, but a little overkill for the first timer. Good luck if you decide to go!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Use a large piece of burlap and/or a large piece of camo netting like:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104680980

Open or shallow water - same camo.

Try small water with 6 GOOD decoys as a starter (maybe RavensDfence can help with general locations). Don't overlook small farm ponds or creeks you might be able to get permission to hunt

Hide yourself VERY WELL and use face paint (think bow hunting).

I haven't been in a number of years but this was my favorite set-up:

img026.jpg

Not a kayak but a layout boat right in the center of the picture.

Best of Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I'm an avid deer hunter and I love bow hunting. Duck hunting was just something that I was thinking about trying this year. I see lots of blinds out on the rivers and water ways I fish. The cold was one thing I have worried about, the only reason I considered trying it from a kayak is because the PA is so stable and has lots of room. Just this past weekend at the tournament just to see If I could pull it off since I wasn't catching any fish. I climbed over the seat and sat on my cooler and fished from that for a while. So it's plenty stable. Do you have to have special permits to hunt on certain waterways or do you just have to be a certain distance from buildings and other blinds?
            Travis
            Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Orange Old Town NEXT
            USN

Comment

I wouldn't mind joining you if you find something worth doing. Back in KY we had uplands, but not many ducks worth making a trip for. I got a pointer that I might could train to retrieve ducks just like he does uplands. And a nice 70's wingmaster that needs more field time.

Comment

been looking at this myself I am a novice duck hunter been a few times I need to do more research on where to go since I don't really know and the places I have hunted were all private land. we should all do some research Im sure we could put something together
                D Hawk
                Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I would be interested in doing that, It's always better to be in a group.
                  Travis
                  Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Orange Old Town NEXT
                  USN

Comment

I'll start asking around over here. With any luck one of us will find something.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                      I'll start asking around over here. With any luck one of us will find something.
                      Where are you located? I live down in Waldorf.
                      Travis
                      Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      Orange Old Town NEXT
                      USN

Comment

I duck and goose hunt on private land and really only use my yak to put out and retrieve dekes and down birds. My duck spots are so so, but I usually have a freezer full of geese by season end. I don't know a lot about the public land hunting deal but I know there are a lot of people that do well with it. Here's some woodys my dad, grandfather and I took a couple years back and then I decided they were good enough to hang on the wall so I stuffed em!

Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice birds!

I live over in Chesapeake Beach. But I can travel for chance to learn.

Comment

nice woodys Ryan. I believe you can hunt off of wma and state parks but there are a lot of rules regarding distance from private land, established blinds and other hunter Im sure those in the know would have a leg up. There is a lot of land on the lower eastern shore like janes island state park and i believe you can hunt parts of the upper potomac but i dont know much about them
                            D Hawk
                            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Travis, I am not in your area, but all tidal areas are part of the "blind Site" rules. Meaning you go to the August raffle drawing and try and get yourself a spot to hunt. It's always better when you go with with several people to get better results. This is in the tidal areas. The Potomac, in non-tidal areas is considered floating blind system. Meaning you can hunt anywhere "allowable". Allowable means not with in 250 yards of a blind site someone got because they own an island or something. Or certain areas of Montgomery County or where Brunswick own the bottom of the river, ect.

Since your later in the season, are new to this, don't have decoys, I would recommend you ask on message boards, but not this one. Duckhuntingchat in the Maryland forum and I am the Mod in there, and the Refugeforums in the Chesapeake forum. Make sure you tell people if you as USN and active duty, it helps, as they know people are displaced from being relocated. Check the DNR website also as there is blinds you can apply to get for a day that are accessible by only boat, but you'll need some decoys, or someone that does have some. But I would ask on the two forums first. There are a certain few things you need to be taught, like sit still and don't be a swivel head. How to call and a couple other things, but it's not that hard, but can be very frustrating just starting on your own.

Good luck and I'll look for your posts on DHC as it will be easier to sign up for.
                              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                              X