OC Inlet Smorgasbord 9/13 - Sheepies, Blackies, and Puffies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Inlet Smorgasbord 9/13 - Sheepies, Blackies, and Puffies

With a wedding at 4:00PM, I wasn't able to fish the CBKA tourney. Kayak Joe and I decided to hit up the OC Inlet for sheepies. After digging some bait, we were fishing by 7:30. First up was a puffer. Annoying, bait stealing, little fellas, but pretty cool looking.

Weeded through a few 14-15in croaker and black wils before I hooked into what I thought was my first sheepie, but it fought kinda weird. It ended up being a 24 inch black drum.

After several more trash fish, I "felt" a sheep biting. After about a half dozen swings and misses, I got him. 18 inches.

I caught one more sheep after that. A little bigger, maybe 20 inches who wasn't photogenic. Kayak Joe nailed two nice ones around 20 inches. We were getting ready to call it a day, when I got good thump. It ended up being a 28 in black drum. Another surprise.

Sheepie tacos for dinner tonight!
    Last edited by RavensDfense; 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Sweet !!!!!!!
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Woo, nice job! Didn't keep the smaller drum? I bet that size is good too eat?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

No I didn't. I already had a sheep in the cooler and let him go. I was thinking on the way in that he probably would have been good.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah, nice sheeps and drum! Seen a number of caught-fish pics in the Coastal magazine, but I didn't think that place could be productive with everyone fishing that place.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The boats have a real hard time getting in close to the jetty. One wave from a 40' charter boat could potentially do some serious damage if it pins them against the rocks. The fish are holding pretty tight to the jetty, so its not too crowded. Especially this time of year. We had about 4 boats around us and they didn't catch much besides croaker.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Work cancelled very early Saturday morning, so since I was up, I went surf fishing instead. Dang it. What do they say about hindsight?

And what?... No triggers in the mix?!

We had to try and one up your black drum today from the boat!
              P1030961.jpg
              + 2 more sheepies. ; otherwise black will, croaker, and toad town.
              Brian

Comment

Great work on the sheepsheads and black drum. Several years ago I ordered black drum in two separate restaurants in Texas and found it to be excellent.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good stuff, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X