No announcement yet.

Lessons Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PatAtTheBridge3.JPGHere are a few shots...
    PatAtTheBridge.jpg
    PatAtTheBridge2.jpg
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
      Just to be clear.. I in no way wanted to imply you guys were tardy.. there were a lot of out there and it takes tome to go around and check on everyone. I had allowed myself to get separated from the pack, and I did not call for help right when I went in. If it was colder, I would have called much sooner. From the time I called out, to the time I got back in my boat was about 10 minutes or less. It was a comforting thought in my mind that there was a safety boat making rounds and that I would eventually be checked upon.

Please convey my deepest appreciation to the sponsors that provided the rescue (chase) boat.. You mentioned the sponsors like feed back about their donations and I would be happy to write a small letter to them giving my thanks.. that service is invaluable.

I am already perusing the "inter-webs" looking for my first kayak.. Right now I am thinking a Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14.. great reviews about stability (500 lb capacity), and they have a small additional seat to take my son out on good days. But every time I look, I find another model that fits the bill.. with any luck it will get cold before I make my decision and I can safely put the idea away until spring.

I have it in my head I want to get back out to the bridge at some point and conquer it... maybe next summer when the water is warm again.
      Pat, we didn't think you were implying that at all. In hindsight, it was a funny conversation, just thought I would share it. Your tone was not at all accusatory. I still do wish we had been able to help you out though.

Yes, Carefree Boats, who donates the chase boat, as well as $500 has been a great sponsor over the years. We were able to rescue another kayaker who had fallen in. When we got to him, he was still in the water being assisted by Richard Souder (last year's CBKA champion), and we took him and his kayak back to shore. It made me feel like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice pics! Do you mind if we use them on the CBKA site?
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Pat,

You may want to Google " Malibu stealth water leak". I was looking at the stealth for a while but some of those reports scared me.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

feel free to use the pics... I know I am seriously good looking and my image will increase traffic by 20%. I'm too sexy for my Kayak (Right Said Fred).

Thanks Reel-Em-In for the heads up.
            I have heard about the water leak issue.. honestly it doesn't bother me. I am a DIYer at heart and hunting down a leak and either plasti-welding it or blobbing some Marine Goop is not a big deal to me. Also, I understand that was an issue with an older model and the newer ones don't have the issue.. but I am not sure about that. Either way.. maybe the bad press will cause the price to come down to where I can afford!!!

Comment

Great write up Pat! It's great that you decided to share your experience with us. We all have our bloopers, some share...some do not. I always share my kayak fouls, mostly for the humor and maybe just maybe someone will learn from my mistakes. Yes, there is definitely something magical about kayak fishing...especially if you have been landlocked trying to find that mystic farmer's pond or secret shoreline. Thanks again for sharing and looking forward to seeing the pics of your awaiting vessel!
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Pat, great to meet you this weekend, appreciate your willingness to share, unique bond among kayak fishermen, we learn real quick to look out for each other.

Bryan

Comment

Great story Pat! Glad you shared it, had me laughing, and also remembering past experiences. Last wednesday I was down at Assateague, launching ocean side and I don't think I made it 5 yards without flipping over. Hope to see ya on the water soon.

Jake
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                    Pat,

You may want to Google " Malibu stealth water leak". I was looking at the stealth for a while but some of those reports scared me.
                    ^ What he said. I came to the same conclusion when I was researching kayaks. I didn't even put it on my comparison spreadsheet.

Comment

yeah... was looking at that some more. At one point they thought they had it all fixed but apparently it still persists. IT doesn't seem to be too bad, and I think a lot of kayaks get water in the hull. The thing that is attractive about them is the fact a child could sit on that hatch/seat thing they have in front.

At this point I am looking at a FeelFree Lure 14.. I am thinking that my son could sit in the huge back area and chill while I paddle him about... fishing. He likes to run the net. But honestly I am looking at about every Yak in the world... even ones no one has ever heard of. I visited the FeelFree dealer called Starrkmoonkayaks&gear... this guy is awesome and the kind of you want to buy from. He has a great little shop up on the Susquehanna river. But I will probably change my mind a million more times.

Comment

Pat, glad you are ok! On the bright side at least you got your turtle over early on!!! As the saying goes- it's not if, but when!

If you ever want some help with self rescue practice let me know, I'd be glad to help! Or check out comeonfish's videos on youtube. You'll feel even more confident and not panicked in the water with a mastery of self rescue procedures.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story and glad you persevered to catch a fish on your first trip! That is one good looking kayak in those pics, I must say though...
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X