Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons Learned

Hi All,
    As a new Kayak Angler I am real reluctant to offer advice but I thought my experiences yesterday might help others or at least offer a good read.

The Story:
    We left at dawn and paddled from Camp Wright to the bridge.. about 4 of us together. After a 45 minutes paddle we arrived. I checked the wind and decided to paddle up wind a ways to setup my gear, thinking the wind would push me back under the bridge. I didn't want to drift onto someone else's setup and mess them up while I was messing with my gear. I had just gotten my squid cut up for my bottom rig when a wave pushed my Yak a bit, since I was close to the weight limit of the yak and was concentrating on managing hooks and not my balance I went over.

I immediately felt the fishing line wrap around my legs. I remember reaching down and braking the 25lb mono with my hands.. I also remember getting my knife out and cutting line.. in those first few seconds I am not sure but perhaps I did both. Once I determined I was relatively safe I stopped and assessed the situation. I have done a ton of fishing and have dumped canoes before and have bobbed with a life preserver in deep water in the past so I knew my nice new PDF could be trusted. I did not panic at all (though I started regretting my obsession with Shark Week, even knowing there are not many sharks in the Bay). At this time I noticed that I had actually drifted AGAINST the wind, something that never happened to me before. Apparently the bay has this thing called a tide.. weird. Looking around there was NO ONE NEAR me.. I had drifted even further from the bridge. This is where I started getting a little nervous.

Before setting out on this trip I had researched and watched a bunch of videos on deep water recovery. This was INVALUABLE, I had the basics down on what I SHOULD be doing and got piece of mind from that. I easily got my Yak turned right side up, poles, wheels and all. I then swam around getting any of the floating things back in the yak.. believe it or not I was worried about littering.. kinda silly of me I suppose. I then attempted a wet entry.. which didn't go well, I dumped the kayak again. I did this whole process two more times... including the whole swim around and pickup debris routine.

I rested a bit. I knew there was an emergency boat making rounds and thought EVENTUALLY someone would notice my predicament. I got thirsty and pondered the wisdom of reaching in and getting one of my sodas and drinking that. I knew it was a HUGE mistake to leave the boat so I started swimming back towards the bridge pulling the boat. I remember thinking that it would be about 3 or 4 hours to tow my yak all the way back to shore. It was then that I decided I might call for help. The nearest Yak was pretty far away but I am known to have a big mouth. After a few yells he noticed me and pedaled over (Hobie Outback). He was able to apply enough counter preassure to my yak to allow me to do a wet entry. Once back on my yak I got situated and faced a 45 minute paddle back to the beach. I left towards shallower water immediately.

Lessons Learned.
    1. Don't Go alone and stay near your buddies. This is something I failed at, I allowed myself to drift away form someone that could have called the emergency boat or simply applied some counter pressure.
    2. When doing something new, research what you are doing. The videos of doing a recovery offered a lot of piece of mind and made it easier for my rescuer to help me.
    3. Get a good PDF and trust it (not wearing a PDF in a YAK is not an option). Since I knew I could bob indefinitely in my PDF and have practiced it in the past I felt no sense of panic. My son will never step foot in a Kayak until he is comfortable floating in his pdf (he is not currently). I would recommend going to a swim beach and go out in your PDF and practice floating in it. Plus it is fun.
    4. A whistle is cheap.. have one on you. I could have really used one.
    5. Don't overload your Yak
    6. Never lose your concentration on your balance.

Kayak Fishing Impressions:
    One of the neatest things of the day.. I was drifting in shallow water outside Camp Write just enjoying the day and I noticed a couple pods of bait fish jumping on the surface. I figured I would throw a spinner through them and see if I could get something that was scaring them. It was really neat to sit there silently hearing the popping of the fish jumping as they swarmed around my kayak, I could see their shapes in the water.. a real "one with nature" type of experience and it was only possible because I was in a Kayak. A boat would have been a much less experience.

Catching a fish (al be it a small one) was neat.. The whole process of where to put your pole, how to manage the fish, how to manage getting the hook out of the fish without sticking yourself or damaging the fish further, where to put the pole and hook now that it is out, how to measure the fish.. all without dumping your kayak.. adds a whole new dimension to fishing.

The process of Kayaking and the process of fishing are both involved things. Fishing from a kayak makes fishing more complex, you have to fish and manage your kayak and keep your balance. Kayaking while fishing makes kayaking more complex, you are kayaking but now you splitting your attention with the fishing aspect. I believe that we don't do things that are hard enough in life.

Why did I make my first attempt at fishing from a kayak at the bay bridge? Mostly because the opportunity presented itself, but also because I am the kind of person who likes to "go big or go home". It was a great experience, perhaps it was kind of stupid, but it was a great time. In the end I got what I wanted out of the weekend... apart from having fun I got to determine what things I want in a kayak based on actual experience, not just youtube reviews. I now know that I can sit in a "non bench style" seat comfortably and perhaps this style is better for me because the center of gravity is lower, that opens up my options for a kayak. I also now know stability is a VERY important thing in a yak for me... a better kayaker may not care as much but it is high on my list now.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

First and foremost, I'm glad your OK. Thank you for the reminder that safety should always come first.
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

That really sucks but at least you came out of it ok. I'm new to all this myself and this was only my 3rd time out in the kayak on sat but I did take it out twice in somewhat calmer waters that I was familiar with first. I also did a lot of research on these things before I bought mine. There are a lot of them out there it takes forever to look at them all but it's def worth it. This site (and I'm sure there are more like it) have a ton of info on them and people (who aren't getting paid for their opinions) that seem to be willing to help anyone out w anything don't be hesitant to ask. A lot of places will let you test ride them to so you can see what you feel more comfortable in. Good luck with whatever you get!!!
      E-Man
      Dune Pro Angler 14

Comment

I had a similar experience when I had my Jackson Cuda12. I tried I surf launch in the outer banks, fortunately I did't have any gear with me. I wanted to see If I could do it first. It was really rough that day and I had no business trying it but ego got in the way. I got out past the breakers pretty easily, but once I was out past them their was some serious white caps and it was really erratic. The waves where coming from all directions, so I decided to head back in after a few minutes. Thats when the fun started, I thought I could just surf it in so the wave came from behind i got my speed up, the bow dipped under water and I was upside down. I kinda had a panic moment then I remembered I had a life Jacket on. In-between waves I tried to get back in but I would just wind up going over the other side. I was about 200 Yards from the beach so after about 5 attempts I decided to just hug the bow of the yak with my paddle in hand and kick my feet. I finally made it to where I could touch bottom and walked the rest of the way up to shore. I was completely exhausted, and about a hundred yards down from where I was parked and a kayak half full of water. I learned a lesson that day as well. I was very thankful for my life jacket.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

A bad day fishing, is still better than a good day at work...as long as you get to tell the story afterward.

I completely agree with you on #3; get a good PFD and wear it!

Seriously, glad you can look back on this with a smile and share your experience. You learned more in one trip than some folks learn in a season...or several.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

PS, glad you made it safe, Before anything when it comes to the sea anywhere, respect the water and the sea, and will give you the same respect. I am new at this and had a chance to launch this past weekend and go to the OC inlet. I turned it down and went out of Assateague Island. Unless you have the experience and respect for the water your in, one mistake and your in. I experienced north winds and incoming time and soon realized it was too much to handle. I beached on the island an waited for the turn of the tide then went back out. Waves and current much better to handle. My grandfather was a waterman, the thing he told me over and over again was to respect the water. Its much stronger than man.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'm glad you survived the encounter and, were smart enough to learn from it.

If I might throw in my .02 if you plant to fish big water again in the future.

Ged a whistle and attach it to your PFD. Get a dry box for your phone and attach it to your pfd. Buy a good floating VHF like a Standard Horizon 850 or Icon and attach it to your PFD. Buy a package of skyblazer flares and put them in your PFD. Get a sharp rounded edge diver's knife and attach it to your PFD. Notice I haven's said anything about using your PFD as a fishing vest.

Believe it or not, you will not notice you have this stuff on your PFD and it will give you confidence that you are prepared for the worst if it should happen. More than one of us has been in rough water in which self recovery didn't work. If you have the ability to call for help, your chances of survival go up exponentially.

BTW, I had to swim 900 yards to shore in a PFD when I was tumbled by a speedboat wake and my center pod was open. I had my phone and radio and would have called for help if I felt I needed to. Knowing that really helps to keep the adrenalin levels down.

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Haha, this did give me a good read. This is similar to what happened to both the guys I went out with on their first trip. I showed them how to do a re-entry, got PFD's and whistles all ready go. And all the paddling and careful maneuvering they did, the flip came when they were messing with gear. Good thing they are SoT. The bay is a great place to learn, but even I stayed in the shallower water until I got a feel for how it would behave.

Glad your OK. A little bit of reality is always my best teacher too.

Comment

I'm glad your ok. And thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's a good reminder to us all to practice safety by wearing our PFD.
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Pat, I'm really glad you are ok and lots of respect for what you put down in the forum for others to learn. You aren't the first person to mention getting wrapped up in your fishing line and I second the recommendation to get a good diving/corrosion resistant knife and attach it to your vest. The last thing you ever want it to loose your mobility.

Hats off to you for your positive attitude about it and I look forward to seeing you on the water again bro!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

It was a great day, I enjoyed it. I would have liked to be able to get out of the water unassisted but I figured I was gonna get wet at some point.

Mustafa, would you mind sharing that curry fish rub you talked about during your demo. I eat fish two to three times a week and a change of flavor might be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                        It was a great day, I enjoyed it. I would have liked to be able to get out of the water unassisted but I figured I was gonna get wet at some point.

Mustafa, would you mind sharing that curry fish rub you talked about during your demo. I eat fish two to three times a week and a change of flavor might be nice.
                        That's awesome bro, I love fish!!

I just use any "over the counter" curry you get at your favorite international store. The sauce I would have brought with me at the CBKA consists of tamarind concentrate, water, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and an Iraqi key ingredient: Date syrup. You can always use molasses or honey in place of the date syrup.

Let me know if you want any other suggestions, and I would love to hear about the way you prepare your fish
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good story, Pat.
                          Damn glad it all worked out.

Sharing all our experiences good or bad is what makes this forum such and excellent resource.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Great post. Thank you for sharing, Pat. We regret not having gotten to you sooner with the chase boat.

When we got to Pat, he had already self-rescued. We did not know he had turtled. We yelled out: "How's the fishing?". He said: "You're 45 minutes too late!". We asked: "You got a big one?!". He said: "No. I was in the water." Oh boy.

We kept an eye on Pat and were happy to hear he had gotten back to shore safely.

As for myself, I'm on the market for a good dry suit for my winter fishing. If the water had been colder, Pat would have ended up in the hospital, or worse.

Stay safe everybody!
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Just to be clear.. I in no way wanted to imply you guys were tardy.. there were a lot of out there and it takes tome to go around and check on everyone. I had allowed myself to get separated from the pack, and I did not call for help right when I went in. If it was colder, I would have called much sooner. From the time I called out, to the time I got back in my boat was about 10 minutes or less. It was a comforting thought in my mind that there was a safety boat making rounds and that I would eventually be checked upon.

Please convey my deepest appreciation to the sponsors that provided the rescue (chase) boat.. You mentioned the sponsors like feed back about their donations and I would be happy to write a small letter to them giving my thanks.. that service is invaluable.

I am already perusing the "inter-webs" looking for my first kayak.. Right now I am thinking a Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14.. great reviews about stability (500 lb capacity), and they have a small additional seat to take my son out on good days. But every time I look, I find another model that fits the bill.. with any luck it will get cold before I make my decision and I can safely put the idea away until spring.

I have it in my head I want to get back out to the bridge at some point and conquer it... maybe next summer when the water is warm again.

Comment

Working...
                              X