A flounder and 4 Spadefish. Still No Sheepshead, CBBT, Sep 6, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A flounder and 4 Spadefish. Still No Sheepshead, CBBT, Sep 6, 2014

I finally got it. Now I know what sheepies' bites like. The bites were super super subtle as I heard from Dave HokieDJ. Because the subtle bites were explained to me a week ago, I finally pay very close attention to the super subtle bites. Unlike tog, it was almost undetectable to me.
    I lost about 3 fiddler crabs at the same bridge column without feeling anything in 5 minutes. I wanted to believe that sheepies were there right under the column. I hooked one at 15" in 15 minutes. But the hook came off right before I tried to net it. I was heart broken. The bites were there for an hour. But I couldn't set the hook at all, not even sea bass or toad fish.

I fished for an hour for flounder during the out-going tide. Caught a 20 inch flounder on a white bucktail (with 4" white Gulp Swimming Mullet) immediately.

Once the skunk was out of the kayak, I fished for sheepies again during strong current here and there. I caught only 2 sea bass and 1 croaker - Catching only 3 non target species for 5 hours was very odd, I thought.

When I reached the First Island, the water looked clear enough. So I spear-fished for 2 hours. I saw a 12" sheepie and many small spadefish under 11". I killed 4 small spadefish.

Fishing log:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Good video. Hope you get on the sheep next time! I think you still have some time before they head out. I read an article recently on a Florida fishing forum about using floats fishing for sheepshead to help them identify the bite better. I don't know if that would be feasible at the CBBT, especially with the current or on choppy days like you were in, but may be worth a try sometime on a calm day & slack water. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...eepies-140333/
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Now you know where else the spades are hiding also.

Comment

Enjoyed the video, as always, and I feel your pain on finding the sheepies! It'll feel great when you finally get on them good!

It took me time to figure out the subtle bite on my own too. To me it feels like somebody has a pinch hold on my line by the hook and is ever so slightly pulling on it up and down a half inch.
        Brian

Comment

When fish have subtle bites, you're suppose to keep the bait moving. I move the rig up and down slowly. Maybe a foot. When you feel slight resistance, set the hook. That's how I learned to fish, and it works.

Nice catches, Joe. I'm psyched to get out there again.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            When fish have subtle bites, you're suppose to keep the bait moving. I move the rig up and down slowly. Maybe a foot. When you feel slight resistance, set the hook. That's how I learned to fish, and it works.

Nice catches, Joe. I'm psyched to get out there again.
            I think that was what I did - lifting rod slowly when I set the hook. When I felt slight resistance I set the hook. I started with a 2/0 hook then I switched to a 1/0 hook. Should I use a 2/0 hook?

Now I am into sheepies.

BTW,
            I dove to see fish around the bridge columns. Almost all bridge columns, from the shore to the First Island, hold spadefish (at 5-7") 10-15' down. Finding bigger ones is the challenge. I am still afraid of diving around pilings because of the current and I am not sure if my current anchor can hold the kayak securely when it is unattended.
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

When you guys fish the pilings are you concentrating at the bottom of the piling or trying different water depths along the piling edge for sheep? Any difference both the down and up current sides other than ease of fishing the down current side?
              Brian

Comment

How did the spadefish taste? Im thinking about getting my own spear gun for next summer and dive at the south jetty, see how many sheepies are really there.
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Working...
                X