No announcement yet.

Bb tomorrow 9-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow I gotta go to BPS and get another rod to replace the one that got broke today...along with a gaff so I'm ready the next time one of those *bleeping* rays get on the line.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
      Nice going Cowpokey, the bigger ones are coming soon.
      Looking forward to it! I'm getting excited about this rockfishing, now that I got one a few inches over the minimum.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Did you drop your live perch next to the pillings? Or did you drift, you add any weight to your live bait to get it down? Or does it not matter? I damn near jigged at every pilling on the east bound bridge for about 5-10min all the way upto the western rock pile and back with nothing. Got desperate and trolled a rattle trap back to the ramp and hooked 1 8" bluefish. Nice to see someone caught something worth posting congrats.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

cowpoke, I got a cheap hand gaff for beach fishing, I used it once on a 60" butterfly ray and it straightened the gaff pulling it in. After that I tossed it and got a sea striker hand gaff and for the past 3 years No skate, shark, or fish has bent it.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yeah, dropped on the inside, between the two pilings for one support. I only tried the west bound span. I use a 1/2 oz egg sinker for weight, sliding on 20# steel about a foot and a half above the 4/0 circle hook.

I tried jigging some pilings too, and didn't get any hits.
            Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
            Did you drop your live perch next to the pillings? Or did you drift, you add any weight to your live bait to get it down? Or does it not matter? I damn near jigged at every pilling on the east bound bridge for about 5-10min all the way upto the western rock pile and back with nothing. Got desperate and trolled a rattle trap back to the ramp and hooked 1 8" bluefish. Nice to see someone caught something worth posting congrats.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
              cowpoke, I got a cheap hand gaff for beach fishing, I used it once on a 60" butterfly ray and it straightened the gaff pulling it in. After that I tossed it and got a sea striker hand gaff and for the past 3 years No skate, shark, or fish has bent it.
              Yeah, I'm going to get a good stainless hand gaff. I wish I could find the same ones we used in Alaska, the ones they have at BPS are a lot longer (even the short hand gaffs) than I'm looking for. Might have to try West Marine?
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

if you are using it for rays.. just use a nail at the end of a stick..

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  if you are using it for rays.. just use a nail at the end of a stick..
                  As displeased as I am with rays right now, I still want to release them as unharmed as I can. We used a hand gaff for big skate in Alaska, just put the gaff hook in its mouth and lift them up, they just hang there while you get the hook out. Can't swim when their wings are out of the water.

This one was a little bigger than the ray I got today:

Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Here's one of the pic Dao (daolia) took, it looks so little....must be because I'm a giant.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Code:
                      Nope, no warranty. It's a $50 Berkley Lightning Rod, I'll buy another one
                      Have to agree on the Lighning rods. for the price, they're hard to beat. don't use them when fishing for heavier fish tho.
                      2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        She cut it up and ate it raw: "Sashimi". I had a piece too, it was good dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. She ate one whole fillet and put the other one in the fridge for sashimi tomorrow.

Thanks, always fun getting a PB! Can't wait to top it!
                        Not sure if she just filleted the body but the cheeks also are real good sashimi bites

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          Not sure if she just filleted the body but the cheeks also are real good sashimi bites
                          She didn't cut the cheeks out, I don't think she thought about it. This is right about the size to start thinking about the cheeks though...
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by bluestringer View Post
                            Code:
                            Nope, no warranty. It's a $50 Berkley Lightning Rod, I'll buy another one
                            Have to agree on the Lighning rods. for the price, they're hard to beat. don't use them when fishing for heavier fish tho.
                            I bought a new rod today...picked up a 6' medium-heavy Ugly Stick GX2. It actually balances a little better with the Penn 3000 reel. We'll see how I like it.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Carter, love the GX2s. I was always a big fan of the ugly sticks. The GX2s are great...have them from ultra lites to medium heavys
                              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                                Carter, love the GX2s. I was always a big fan of the ugly sticks. The GX2s are great...have them from ultra lites to medium heavys
                                This is my first Ugly Stik, I have high hopes for it. I bought my wife one of the Ladies GX2s combos earlier this year, she likes it.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X