No announcement yet.

Bb tomorrow 9-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search thread from last year on the bay bridge. I used the same spot to catch 2 -3 stripers after it was dead.

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Congratulations on your personal best -- that is always a great accomplishment. I did well on stripers too this morning launching out of Goodhands Creek launch. My biggest was just 20" but I caught 23 stripers over 4.5 hours of nonstop trolling (tired knees!).
      That's a good sign! Was there a particular depth or topography where you found them? Were they in schools?

Congrats CP! That's exciting stuff man. Sounds like fishing's improving.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Congratulations on your personal best -- that is always a great accomplishment. I did well on stripers too this morning launching out of Goodhands Creek launch. My biggest was just 20" but I caught 23 stripers over 4.5 hours of nonstop trolling (tired knees!).
        Sounds like y'all had a good day too!
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          That's a good sign! Was there a particular depth or topography where you found them? Were they in schools?

Congrats CP! That's exciting stuff man. Sounds like fishing's improving.
          Alan -

Sorry to hijack Cowpokey's post, but since you asked: I trolled small lures in shallow water (2 ft to 4 ft) along grassy edges. Any grassy points that diverted the water were particularly attractive to me. I also trolled parallel to the breakwater just south of the Narrows -- I found stripers at one particular spot along the wall, but not anywhere else. As you mention in your book, trolling allows you to explore a large area to learn which specific segments hold the most fish. I found several such spots that accounted for over half of the day's catch. I had several passes when 2 of the 4 rods went down at the same time, and once when 3 of the 4 went down. Trying to land all those fish without tangling lines on each other, the rudder, or the Propel was a challenge. I got it right most of the time (but not all the time).

There may have been plenty of fish in deeper water, but on the times when I was moving across deeper water I had no bites. I saw no working birds or breaking fish at all today.

I started with two 12 Fathoms 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletails in chartreuse, one Rattletrap, and one 5" eel-like soft plastic that Harry got at Bass Pro. He gave me two to try. The eel lure caught 4 of the first 5 fish, then went quiet after that. The coloration may have been better suited to the lower light during the first hour of fishing. After 45 mins, I removed the Rattletrap and replaced it with a jighead and 4" Gulp. The rest of the day, the chartreuse Fat Sam mullets were the best producers, with the Gulp catching 3 or 4 fish.

During my trolling near the mouth of the Severn and at Hacketts Pt (also in shallow water) on Tues, chartreuse lures were hit far more than the other colors. That seems to be a good choice right now.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            Search thread from last year on the bay bridge. I used the same spot to catch 2 -3 stripers after it was dead.

Mobile
            I would have had to cut the striper open to reuse the white perch, it was in it's belly.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Sorry to hijack Cowpokey's post, but since you asked: <snip>
              LOL, not my thread, I just ended up in it cause I fished today.

I've been reading about folks catching mostly in shallow water lately while trolling. I caught the 23"er in 17 feet of water today. All of the striper I've gotten while trolling this summer were in less than 14 feet.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                I would have had to cut the striper open to reuse the white perch, it was in it's belly.
                I'm talking about the dead spot.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                  I'm talking about the dead spot.

Mobile
                  Interesting...I dropped the spot over the side, figured it for crab food.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Great job reporting guys, nice! Thank you.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

nice work and did you eat the perch too?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                        nice work and did you eat the perch too?
                        My wife filleted the perch too, it wasn't digested at all. LOL Now she said. "perch isn't good, bring home more striper."
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey! Congrats on your personal best! Nice looking fish. I'd love to know how your wife prepared it.
                          John V. I received my 12 fathoms fat sams in the mail; chartreuse, glass minnow, and a penny color. I hope they work as well for me as they work for you
                          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Nice job on the pb! were getting into the best time of the year for bigger fish. They don't call it rocktober for nothing
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                              Cowpokey! Congrats on your personal best! Nice looking fish. I'd love to know how your wife prepared it.
                              She cut it up and ate it raw: "Sashimi". I had a piece too, it was good dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. She ate one whole fillet and put the other one in the fridge for sashimi tomorrow.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                              Nice job on the pb! were getting into the best time of the year for bigger fish. They don't call it rocktober for nothing
                              Thanks, always fun getting a PB! Can't wait to top it!
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Nice going Cowpokey, the bigger ones are coming soon.
                                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                                X