Clear All

oh man

Nice striper though!
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Dang ray! Sorry to hear about the rod. Is it under warranty?

Mobile
      Last edited by Goody; 09-04-2014, 01:24 PM.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Haha oops
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          23"
          Nice catch. That's good eatin'.

Bummer about the rod. I did the same thing once several years ago.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Live lining a white perch actually.
            Nice catch man!
            I assume you dropped the live perch on the pilings, right? How long do you wait untill you decide there is no fish on that piling and move on to the next one?
            “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

I got nothing. I tried jigging but no luck
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                Dang ray! Sorry to hear about the rod. Is it under warranty?

Mobile
                Nope, no warranty. It's a $50 Berkley Lightning Rod, I'll buy another one. That's the first time I ever broke a rod fighting a "fish". I actually thought I had a trophy on the line until I saw it. I've caught a lot of skate, so I know when you get one of them on the line they just have a steady strong pull. The stupid cownose ray was shaking like a normal fish, I was all kinds of excited!!! When I finally got it up to the surface I found out why it was "shaking" as it fought, the hook was in the front of its wing...halfway to the tip. That was a hell of a battle, I never want to do it again. The ray swam circles around my kayak, got my other line tangled up, ended up with the line it was on tangled in the rudder and I had to climb back over the tankwell to get it untangled so I could get back in the fight and get it unhooked. After everything was sorted out, I started back in the fight and finally got it next to the kayak so I could pull the hook. I knew I was taking a chance with the rod being that straight up with such a heavy critter on the line, but I didn't have another option...other than to cut the line. Hindsight being what it is, the ray should be swimming around with a jig in its wing and several yards of Fireline braid dragging behind.

On to the rest of the day.

Too bad I didn't have a net, this crab was big enough to keep. I put my hand in to grab it, but it dropped. Didn't know they would hang out on a piling in 15 feet of water.

My wife got excited when I sent her the picture of the striper and said she wanted to eat sashimi, so she got to clean it.

The "last supper" for this rockfish was a 7" white perch. My wife couldn't believe I caught it on that big of a perch.

Wife ate one fillet as soon as she got the fish cleaned. I tried it too, it's pretty good dipped in soy sauce and wasabi.

Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_on_a_Tarpon View Post
                  Nice catch man!
                  I assume you dropped the live perch on the pilings, right? How long do you wait untill you decide there is no fish on that piling and move on to the next one?
                  Yeah, dropped it between two pilings. I tried a couple different pilings, probably waited too long at each. By the time I gave up on the second piling my only spot was dead. I tried it at one more piling, not sure if you can catch fish with a dead bait or not?

I finally gave up on the spot and put on one of the perch. Hooked it near the tail and dropped it in. Barely got to the bottom and had the striper on. Since this was my first time successfully live lining, should I expect to have a fish on right away or move to the next piling, or does it pay to wait around? I had one more white perch, so I put it on and moved to the next piling and it got snagged and broke me off in just a couple minutes. That was it for live lining, since I didn't have any more bait. I tried catching some more bait with fishbites by the same pilings, but no luck. Daolai caught a perch by next piling over, so it should have worked for me too...but I must have used up my good luck by then.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I'd fish a spot head over a live white perch but glad to see it worked! They do love cut spot!
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                      I'd fish a spot head over a live white perch but glad to see it worked! They do love cut spot!
                      I'll have to try that next time. I gotta find a better source of spot...I found some good places to catch them at other locations, but not yet around the bay bridge.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Nice striper CP!!! Amazing that you were able to get untangled from the rudder. I would have probably flipped my kayak.
                        John D.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                        GO RAVENS!!!
                        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Great catch Cowpokey!!
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                            Nice striper CP!!! Amazing that you were able to get untangled from the rudder. I would have probably flipped my kayak.
                            I was worried about flipping, but managed to stay upright.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Bb tomorrow 9-3

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                              Great catch Cowpokey!!
                              Thanks, it's my personal best striper. Can't wait to tangle with a big one!
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks, it's my personal best striper. Can't wait to tangle with a big one!
                                Congratulations on your personal best -- that is always a great accomplishment. I did well on stripers too this morning launching out of Goodhands Creek launch. My biggest was just 20" but I caught 23 stripers over 4.5 hours of nonstop trolling (tired knees!).
                                John Veil
                                Annapolis
                                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                                X