Crab Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab Thieves

There have been a group of mexicans stealing crabs from the commercial guys pots. I saw them again this morning, just outside the Rod-n-Reel marina (fishing creek) in a red/white powerboat going from pot to pot of one of the lines of traps just picking crabs out and moving down the bay. I know that ain't their traps because I see the guys who drop those and they work out of a crabbing boat (no mexicans aboard it). Plus, they take from multiple strings, not just one set.

Call them in if you see them. DNR never gets there in time and they monitor all the VHF channels so it's hard to alert someone without spooking them. I'm trying to get a number for one of the crab boat captains, I'm sure he would get there in time. Back in KY, that would get you shot or sunk.

The Crab pot float should have they owners info on them with contact number.

Comment

Yeah, but no one has been answering that one. It's got an address on there though. Going to try that next.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
        Yeah, but no one has been answering that one. It's got an address on there though. Going to try that next.
        Gets you shot in somd. Or so I'm told
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

I didn't even know you could catch crabs in KY, yet alone get shot for stealing them!

Good luck on catching the thieves. Couldn't you just notify local DNR? It seems to me they'd be able to make extra patrols in the area or maybe they at least are familiar with the local waterman.
          Brian

Comment

Does the red and white boat have identifying numbers on it (regestration numbers) that you could copy down and report it to DNR or the owner of the pots? That is miserable that they are stealing someone elses work.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

With the prices for crabs these days, aren't all crabbers thieves? haha

Comment

Trying to get those numbers on the boat. They used white numbers with black outline on a white hull... I'm sure once I let the captains know, there will be people posted.

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                I didn't even know you could catch crabs in KY, yet alone get shot for stealing them!
                Those trot lines are well guarded! Catfish, crawdads, turtles and all!

Comment

If you can't get the "Numbers" try to get a picture of the boat for DNR. Any and all info will help, Date, Time, Description of boat and operators and passengers. No matter you cut it this is Poaching!

Comment

I saw a dude ticketed for keeping undersized crabs AND baby speckled trout on Labor Day.

Comment

Yeah I'm gonna break my rule of no phone pictures while out on the water to get a photo next time.

Comment

Another thing you can do if you are near the Rod and Reel check with the Charter Captains or go to Tylers and speak with them they might know most of the crabbers down there and be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                        X