Recon Boat Report....Fall Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon Boat Report....Fall Redfish

Long Boat Report....If you wanna stop reading, I get it. Or just look at the pictures.

With reports of big reds showing up on the ESVA, Hemingway and I had planned on targeting them in the yak over the weekend. Looooong paddle, big water, big fish, camping, the whole nine yards. At the last minute Gary's brother decided to also head down on his boat and with the wind being questionable, it turned into a recon, info seeking mission. We launched on a bayside creek friday afternoon. We tried to catch spot, but failed (should have tried for something else then they would have been everywhere). Finally found some blues and loaded the cooler for bait. After anchoring up, we set out lines with cut bait. While trying to catch some more blues, I tangled a line, making a loop. When Gary's brother reeled in the line, an 8 inch bunker became snared in the loop. I put him on a bridle rig and Gary sent him to the bottom. A few minutes later his line starts creeping out. After setting the hook and a vicious 45 minute fight Gary landed his first cobia. A nice 51 incher.

About 20 minutes later, my line starts screaming. After a long run and a 5 minute fight, I landed a personal best, 48 in bull. Beautiful red.

That was it for the night. The following day consisted of catching spot for bait and a few (mostly short) flounder until we waited for the bite. It was slower, but Gary did manage his first bull red!

Awesome couple of days of fishing. With the info gained from covering a lot of ground and having success both days, I'm confident we can make this happen in a yak. Just need that perfect weather window. Stay tuned.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Nice work guys. That is far better than I did last week in a similar area fishing from my center console. I fished near Cape Charles on Aug 25 by myself and from Kiptopeke to Fisherman's Island with Raptor and Mark on Aug 27. We fought the wind and dirty water both days and had very poor catching. I'm glad to see that large fish are available in the area.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow that is amazing. Can't wait to see upcoming the kayak adventure results
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Wow nice! Bet the Cobia was a welcome surprise
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Yeah it was. We thought it was a nuisance shark for the first few minutes. Needless to say, when it surfaced, s*@t got serious real fast. Lol

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work again fellas! Two bulls and a cobia is a good way to recon.

I forgot to ask you; did you get them on heads or chunks?
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Quite a welcome surprise, indeed! Guess who is eating cobia for the second night in a row
              It was a magical fishing experience, everything fell in place, and it could not have happened with two better guys making it all a lifetime memory I will treasure. Doug's red was spectacular, best I have ever seen in person!

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                Nice work again fellas! Two bulls and a cobia is a good way to recon.

My red was on a bluefish chunk, and I believe Doug' was too. However, some heads were tried so I might be wrong on his.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                  Quite a welcome surprise, indeed! Guess who is eating cobia for the second night in a row
                  You know I drive by your house on the way to work everyday if you get tired of eating it and want to trade for some croaker!!!!!
                  Brian

Comment

Great report and Awesome Cobia! What kind of rod/reel setup did you guys bring it in on?
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You know I drive by your house on the way to work everyday if you get tired of eating it and want to trade for some croaker!!!!!
                      Brian, nice of you, but not a chance lol

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        Great report and Awesome Cobia! What kind of rod/reel setup did you guys bring it in on?
                        I was using a G-Loomis Pro-Blue 7' PBR844S (basically it is their tarpon rod). shimano 8000D baitrunner with 65 lb. braid 60lb. Floro I could have put a little more heat on it, but not knowing the hook set (which turned out to be deep and solid) and not wanting to boat a slightly green cobia, we opted to get it dog tired to be on the safe side. Even with all that, it took 3or4 attempts to net it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                          I was using a G-Loomis Pro-Blue 7' PBR844S (basically it is their tarpon rod). shimano 8000D baitrunner with 65 lb. braid 60lb. Floro I could have put a little more heat on it, but not knowing the hook set (which turned out to be deep and solid) and not wanting to boat a slightly green cobia, we opted to get it dog tired to be on the safe side. Even with all that, it took 3or4 attempts to net it.
                          That's awesome.... must have been one heck of a rush!
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

All on tails.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work!!! That cobia is a bruiser for sure!!
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X