Enhanced rudder for Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhanced rudder for Slayer Propel

Earlier this summer, a third-party company (BooneDox) introduced a new rudder for the Slayer Propel. It is made of rigid aluminum vs. the flexible plastic of the standard rudder. The two rudders are shown below.

001.jpg

The BooneDox rudder is the same height but is 5.5" longer. Installation is quick and easy -- just remove one screw to drop off the old rudder, insert the new rudder, and attach with a supplied stainless steel bolt.

002.jpg

I installed the new rudder on my Slayer Propel this morning and took it out on the Severn for a few hours. The slow speed turning and turning in reverse were clearly enhanced -- the kayak turned much more easily than with the standard rudder. I could approach more closely to obstructions before starting my turns.

With the standard rudder, it was sometimes difficult to track in a straight line without frequent adjustments to the rudder direction. The new rudder improves the tracking too. I trolled 4 lines this morning (and even tried 5 lines for a short time). While still moving along at trolling speed, I was able to pick up a rod and reel it in to check for grass on the hook. The boat tracked well and only required occasional minor rudder adjustments. It was noticeably easier to track straight than with the standard rudder.

For those of you with Slayer Propels, this may be a good upgrade. As far as I can tell, only one vendor (Get Outdoors) is selling the BooneDox rudder at this time. If interested, check out http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/boone...r-upgrade.html.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I've been waiting for someone else to buy one of these and review it. Now I guess it is on my list of things to do over the winter.
    Thanks John.

Ian

Comment

Very nice! Matches your Slayer perfectly.

The sailing rudder on Hobies is a big improvement too, I wonder why the manufacturers don't upgrade the rudders by default...
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

The plastic rudder seemed really fragile. I'd think getting the aluminum one is a no brainer and it looks really good. That rudder is a nice design in that it's inline with the hull so it doesn't stick down and pick up weeds.

When I load my kayak onto my truck, the tip of the stern is on the ground when I pivot the front of the kayak onto the truck. Can you turn the rudder to one side so it doesn't become the pivot point?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Thanks, John. I think I will get this new rudder. I will say though, I've put my plastic rudder through hell and it still holds up. Not sure an aluminum rudder
          would hold through to what I put the plastic one through.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            When I load my kayak onto my truck, the tip of the stern is on the ground when I pivot the front of the kayak onto the truck. Can you turn the rudder to one side so it doesn't become the pivot point?
            I load my kayak stern first. That minimizes the direct pressure on the rudder.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have one but haven't had a chance to install it on my Native Mariner. Hoping for the same improvements you've seen on the Slayer.

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Working...
              X