OC Inlet Payday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Inlet Payday

This morning marked a pinnacle point in my very limited sheepshead fishing career. I've posted before about my desire to catch more of these strong fighting fish without having to go to the CBBT. I've also posted about my lack of success, so I won't bore you with the details of all the unsuccessful trips since my last reports - and there's been a few.

Today was a different story though. Things seemed to just fall in place. The night before my work schedule opened up allowing me to take a few hours off in the morning, tide was right for getting out to where I wanted, boat traffic was light, and the weather was hard to beat. So I dug some fleas and headed out for quick morning trip. First drop I hit a 27" striper in the head. The next couple drops resulted in a few more low 20" stripers.

Then it finally happened... a good solid hook-up with a fish that wanted to fight up and down, unlike the everywhere runs of the striper, and a few minutes later Mr. Sheepshead was in my lap (18"). I was thrilled to get one and satisfied no matter what happened the rest of the morning. But to my excitement it was just the start as the sheep were out to graze! I end up pulling 5 more up before I had to leave for work! Fish went 17" - 21"; released all but one for dinner.

From famine to feast in one trip. Likely all just luck though!

P1030880.jpgP1030884.jpgP1030886.jpgP1030889.jpgP1030891.jpgP1030892.jpg
    Brian

Those awesome teeth!!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great day in your yak!! timing is everything Bro and you were ''ON TIME"" hope you get to do it again & again!!

Comment

That's awesome! Persistence paid off. That's last one looks beast
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sweet, what was the water like, temp, chop?
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

awesome!! congrats on your catch! i have yet to catch one myself.. were you fishing incoming or outgoing?
            Michael
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Yeah, you really got a feast on some nice looking fish. Congrats!
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks all! It sure felt good to get into them. I was getting tired of croakers and wills.

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
                Congrats on a great day in your yak!! timing is everything Bro and you were ''ON TIME"" hope you get to do it again & again!!
                Don't we all wish that every time we go!

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                Sweet, what was the water like, temp, chop?
                I'm not sure on the water temp - no electronics on board. There was a good swell coming over the jetty and around the tip on incoming; not bad inside though. So-so clear water, maybe 2-4 visibility at the start and 1-2 by the time I left.
                Brian

Comment

Congratulations Bob!
                  Awesome catch. Are sand fleas the usual bait for them?

And, how did it taste?
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

At least you were kind enough not to include these pics along with your texts this morning. Awesome job, man.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice job Bob.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm scared to yak through that inlet. I guess tide timing is important.?
                        Native Slayer 12
                        Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                          I'm scared to yak through that inlet. I guess tide timing is important.?

i feel the same way...
                          i once saw a standup paddlerboarder trying to paddle back in against an outgoing tide and he wasnt moving at all... luckily a boat saw him struggling and helped him out
                          Michael
                          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

The inlet is relatively easy to fish. If you get in the middle, yes, there is a lot of current, but that is not where you would fish anyway. Stick to the North side of the South Jetty and you'll be OK. We fish an incoming tide regardless of the current. Because the Jetty hooks around to the north at the tip, the current inside the hook isn't bad in my limited experience there. The most sketchy thing you'll encounter is the large wake thrown by the charter boats. You just need to be prepared to turn the bow of your yak into it and you'll be fine.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                              The most sketchy thing you'll encounter is the large wake thrown by the charter boats. You just need to be prepared to turn the bow of your yak into it and you'll be fine.
                              Definitely give yourself some cushion around the rocks. Mid-summer evenings when the offshore boats are piling back in is the worst time. Easy 4 footers coming at you sometimes. If your too close to the rocks ,or you get caught off guard, you can get in a pinch really quick.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X