Transom Repair Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transom Repair Advice Needed

First of all, let me explain that I don't have a boat that needs transom repair.
    I'm considering buying one that needs transom repair.

Its a nice looking 20ft fiberglass boat. Probably about the biggest I can haul with my 4dr Jeep.
    My budget is low, so I am planning on buying a fixer-upper.
    I've only seen pictures so far so I don't know how extensive the transom damage is. But I figured if someone here knows about this sort of thing, they might be able to help me determine if I'm getting in over my head.

The boat is on a trailer and the motor is mounted on the transom. So its not falling apart.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

What kind of transom is it? Notched, full, quintrex? Bracketed?

Some are as easy to repair as buying a piece of plywood and nailing it over the old transom. But others might need serious reshaping or replacing the entire stern of the boat.

Comment

Quintrex? Bracketed?
      I guess you would call this a notched transom?

transom.jpg

Comment

That's notched. Can't really see the damage from that angle, but it doesn't look like it is seriously rot or cracked. If the transom is rot, the boat is worthless without serious repair. Some cracks can be fixed, but that's a gamble. I wouldn't buy a transom rot or cracked boat.

Barring there are no transom troubles, I would check for blistering on it. And signs of significant hull repair. Scraps or dents on the keel, stuff like that. Make sure the inside has no rotten areas either. The floor is very important and expensive to replace/repair.

I'm no boat expert, but I have seen plenty of people with problems to know about a few. That's why the saying exists: "The happiest days in a boaters life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it."

Comment

LOL

Thanks for the insight Frogsauce. Like I said, I don't mind a fixer-upper, but I certainly don't want to inherit a major rebuild.
          There are plenty of boats out there. Thanks again.

Comment

Should look into seacast, we did it with a friends boat and the transom is bullet proof now. The material is Lighter than wood and floats
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

If your looking for a fixer upper I may have what your looking for.
                A 20' Angler cuddly cabin with 150 Evenrude on a trailer. It has been sitting for years now but is solid. Worst thing is the full tank of gas. I'm sure it went bad a long time ago and would have to be drained and cleaned. Also the fenders have cracked and fallen apart on the trailer. Let me know if your interested.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks Jim, but I think I might have found what I'm looking for....

I ended up walking away from the one with transom repair. Looked at several at an auction last Saturday and decided that I want a fairly clean boat. So many I saw had soggy decks, spots all over everything, smelly cabins, faded glass, or broken parts.

So I found a Sea Pro 190WA that looks pretty clean. Wanted to get a survey done, but I may pass on that since I was reading that most marine surveys don't included checking the engine. The boat was surveyed by the marina and I got their list of recommended repairs... and I can do a compression test myself. Its only a 4 cylinder I/O.

Comment

Right on. If you change your mind it will still be sitting there, I'm sure.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                    X