Rod holder extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod holder extenders

Scotty has a 4.5, 6.5, and 8.5 inch extenders for their bases. I have the baitcaster rod holders. Does anyone have a recommendation for trolling with my tarpon? I have the holders mounted on the slidetrax. Trying to get a little more room for paddling.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Last April I added Scotty extenders to my two front rod holders when trolling with the Slayer Propel 13. Prior to the extenders, when the rod holders were in the normal gunwale gear track position, the rod butts would bump into my thighs and knees as I pedaled. After adding the extenders and two sets of slip disks in the joints to make adjustments easier, I no longer had to worry about knee bumping.

I was very pleased with the extenders after adding them. I figure I am getting about a 12 ft spread on the two front lines by using the extenders. And I was able to catch some large stripers with that configuration.

004.jpg 008.jpg 004.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the standard scotty bases so I was thinking of using the extenders that just raise the rod holders straight up. I guess this is a possible different route though. Anyone use the vertical extenders?

Comment

I got distracted by the rockfish.
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

I have two powerlocks on the tracks in front and two rocketlaunchers on the tracks in back. I have tried to figure out why anyone would need those extenders except for mounting cameras or maybe other accessories like that. I mount the rod holders out front just far enough that I can reach them and they don't interfere with paddling. My reach is longer than average, but I think most people should be able to troll the way I do without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
            I have two powerlocks on the tracks in front and two rocketlaunchers on the tracks in back. I have tried to figure out why anyone would need those extenders except for mounting cameras or maybe other accessories like that. I mount the rod holders out front just far enough that I can reach them and they don't interfere with paddling. My reach is longer than average, but I think most people should be able to troll the way I do without any problems.
            That's what I've done thus far. I've been reading Allen's book and the pictures he has of his and Jeff Little's setups just look like they would be more comfortable to reach. I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm just not sure how much I should raise them up. Plus like you said it might be nice for a camera if I want to do that in the future.

Comment

Extenders are generally not needed for paddle-power kayaks. However, when you troll from pedal-power kayaks, the rod butts from rod holders in front of you will interfere with your legs. To mitigate those issues, you can use vertical extenders (like Yak Fish describes) or use the lateral extenders like I showed above.

There is no right or wrong way to do it -- find a way that works for you.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I am having an issue I have a old school big game prowler when I put rods in front rod holders even with rocket launchers I can not access them from a seated position any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Donny B.
                OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

I have always used the 8.5" stainless type by Scotty. My purpose was to have more room for my legs and feet under the rod butt of the trolling rods, which stick out like outriggers. A secondary result was that it made it easy to grab the rod, when there was a strike. I don't know if that will make more room for the paddle. I generally us an electric motor.

Comment

I never did like the idea of have rod holders in front of me when trolling, but that's the same set up I had at first too. What I ended up doing was making rod holders out of PVC that would install in the flush mounts. If I can find pics I'll post those but, basically when I was done it was like a one piece rack, that I could easily remove if needed. It was great because I was able to set my rods at a lower angle ( unlike the flush mounts) and the lines were further part too. Easy to build and very strong. So be creative, PVC is awesome stuff!

Comment

I have yet to try a pedal kayak, but I see how the extenders would be needed in that situation now that I think about it.

I have spent several hundred hours trolling with rods out in front after I got a system down for not having them interfere with paddling and still have them available to easily grab. I pretty much only use the rod holders behind my seat for storage at this point, but I will occasionally troll a rod out back. I guess the rod holders out front might not work for folks who have problems touching their toes or were just born with short arms. I did see a post on another forum recently with a really slick behind the seat pvc setup to fit into flush mounts with ram mounts all over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X