Visi carbon flag location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visi carbon flag location

Anyone find a great spot for the flag. I'm think of moving it closer to my seat. I get some line tangles while trolling especially when landing a fish and the other line is still live. If anyone has found a great location I'm all ears!
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

That's why I took my flag down. Kept on tangling that sob while trolling and catching. I think it's probably just another one of those things you have to get used to if you want to use it.

Comment

Mine is mounted to the cover of my steering cable access on my PA. Yes, tangles can be an issue. That said, I haven't been catching lately so it hasn't been an issue . I think putting it right behind the seat might help but then it is in the way if you need something out of your crate.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

So far so good, did some catching yesterday and no interference.2014 08 8 MP.jpg
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I mounted mine on the back of the seat on my PA. I bought the version with a Scotty mount and mounted the bracket to the back of the seat. It is right behind me so I don't hit it while casting. The lines don't tangle in it while trolling. The only issue is that it is difficult to pass a line over if a fish crosses behind the boat. Another advantage is that the flag and light are higher which means they are seen at a greater distance.

Comment

I put my own flag and mount together, much cheaper and I like it better than what's available commercially.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ocket-Launcher

If anyone wants one, let me know and I'll build it.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I put Scotty mount on the outside of my crate on the corner behind the seat to put mine in. I haven't had any problems with getting tangled up in it when casting or trolling.

ride.jpg
              Last edited by rwh; 09-02-2014, 08:44 AM.
              2013 WS Ride 135
              2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

I don't mean to be rude but does anyone actually think those flags increase your safety or visibility on the water? Every time I see one I think "look at that big yellow kayak. And there's one of those flags that they probably snag every back cast." I just can't forsee any scenario in which someone would see your flag before your kayak.
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Romo, that's my thought too. My reflective paddles wailing around and reflective tape all the way around the yak probably give signal before the flag. But they are neat. And all the cool kids seem to have one. So I am sure they serve some purpose to visibility. I tore mine down and never looked back (pardon the pun).

Comment

From my experience, paddle kayaks are better served by having bright colored paddles moving up and down -- they can be seen far off by other vessels. If your paddles blades are not bright already (like mine, which are black), you can easily add colored or reflective tape. This can be seen from a distance.

Pedal kayaks may be good candidates for flags. When I am in my pedal kayak, and I want to make sure another vessel sees me, I can reach behind me and grab a paddle half and wave it in the air.

If you plan to fish at night you will need a light source. One good way of doing that is to get a pole with a light on top. You can easily put a flag on the same pole.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't use mine so much during the day time, but for fishing at night with the light on the top of the pole, I would say it increases visibility for other boaters to see and for me, it provides plenty of ambient light so that I can bait & rig my poles sometimes without using a headlamp. For the daytime, I don't use it as much, however, there are certain marsh flats that I fish with lots of winding creeks with turns everywhere. Boaters come speeding through those creeks and around corners like madmen, so I figure they may see the flag sticking up above the marsh grass as they are turning the corner. Another time I could see it beneficial during daylight would be if you are fishing when there are good sized swells. You may be going down in the swells and not be as visible to boaters, but the flag could help there as well.
                      2013 WS Ride 135
                      2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Orange yak, orange flag, lime vest, lime crate, if you cant see me, your blind, plus as stated previously, all the Kool Kids have them.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I put a short gear track behind the seat on my ride in basically the same location as in the pic rwh posted. I don't really have any issues with it there. I like it close enough that I can grab it and switch it on when it gets dark.

Comment

Paddle blades are definitely more visible at long distance. I've thought about painting mine, black paddle blades are not good signal devices. I like when people use flags on peddle kayaks, that's how I tell who they are when I'm still too far away to tell by facial recognition.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Use a flag. Use anything that will make you visible to boats. I have been hit once by a boat. I had a flag, a bright yellow kayak and a hunter orange hoodie on that day. I am about to add an optic yellow flag on one of the rods in the rod holder, which attaches with Velcro, to be even more visible. One should also carry an air horn. Do everything you can to be seen and heard. Otherwise, you may feel quite silly, when a boat is bearing down on your kayak.

I have moved my YakAttack flag closer to the seat, which has reduced and just about eliminated any tangles, while trolling.

Comment

Working...
                              X