No announcement yet.

Rocket Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I promised a new thread for the rocket launcher build, but that's not happening. I spent several hours rigging today, and took a pictures but not really enough to improve on what was already in the first page of this thread.

Here's the updates for rigging.

Original RL fits the new Outback perfectly.

I use a tubing cutter for cutting the PVC, it doesn't get all the way through, so you have to use a knife to finish the cut...but it does cut the ends square, or even.

Use primer on both surfaces that are going to be glued.

Then put cement on both surfaces. You can glue the connector pieces in right away if you know it's never going to come apart again.

I use permeant fine point markers to put hash marks for alignment after everything has been dry fitted. I like to use different colors for each junction, so it can only go back together one way.

After you have one side of the joint glued, use a dead blow hammer to knock the pieces apart so you can glue the other side of the joint.

If you have one side cemented and not sure if the other side is, look inside. You can see that there's primer and glue at the intersection, but the inside of the joint is clean; that means one side of that joint is only dry fitted.

We used acetone to clean everything off the RL, then Cowkid2 spray painted it with a couple coats of a sky blue she picked out, rattle can for plastic. 2015 on the left, 2014 on the right.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Hell of a job Cowpokey! Enjoy the new seat!

The youngster has a FF too?! damn lucky!
      Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
      2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
      2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
      2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by RustedAngler View Post
        Hell of a job Cowpokey! Enjoy the new seat!

The youngster has a FF too?! damn lucky!
        1) Thanks.

2) Of course. I could set her up half way...besides I knew I was going to get another Outback since last year, and I had to get an Elite-5 HDI when they went on clearance back in Feb.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
          I tried skimming through, but dont think I saw it. Has anyone tried this with the Revo? I know there aren't as many rod holders on the gunnels of the Revo, but I do spot 2 behind the seat, similar to the Outback. However, they do look further back on the Outback that may add some clearance from the seat. Eitherway, I really like keeping the space in front of me clean and not full of various contraptions. This seems to be the best way to utilize kayak space and also see the rod tips. Nicely done!
          I found the link if you are still looking for a Revo version... Others have also done different styles but I put up measurements to get folks started. Hope it helps
          http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-measurements)
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I really to like the Outbacks integrated paddle holder on the side of the yak. I wish the PA had something like that to help get the paddle out of the cockpit/rear hatch area. But with a backwater assault paddle, mirage drive and a 403ultralight hanging off the back, it'll be likely I dont even bother carrying a paddle.
            Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
            2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
            2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
            2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              1) Thanks.

2) Of course. I could set her up half way...besides I knew I was going to get another Outback since last year, and I had to get an Elite-5 HDI when they went on clearance back in Feb.

so how do you like the 5HDI I had an elite 3x but the 5HDI just got discontinued and I picked one up for $299 I have everything wired up just waiting on my mighty mounts to arrive today so I can place it.. any clear difference when fishing salt vs freshwater? can you tell a difference in marking a largemouth vs a striper .. I really haven't used one much
              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                ...any clear difference when fishing salt vs freshwater? can you tell a difference in marking a largemouth vs a striper .. I really haven't used one much
                I have the same FF. It's a fine unit.

I think you’ll find that in a kayak its major benefit is not marking fish but giving you other statistical and visual data.

I rarely mark fish in the shallow water I prefer fishing. But I see bottom contours, structure and depths and that information helps me find and catch fish that are not within the cone of vision of my FF.

I have indeed marked fish in deeper waters. The arch marks are unmistakable. I presumed they were stripers given where I was. But I usually don’t carry the appropriate tackle to reach them. On occasion I have trolled in 12 to 15 feet of water and seen a cloud of bait fish on my FF. Sometime strikes are predictable shortly after I pass those clouds. But the major information of importance the FF gave me was the depth of the water I was in, not the cloud.

So I think as you get familiar with your unit you won’t be as much looking for fish as looking for the depths and structures where the fish typically are that day.

I’ve used my Elite 5 HDI in fresh and tidal waters similarly and with the same results.

Good luck.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I replicated the rocket launcher from this thread and really like it my Outback LE. Easy to install, use and remove.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

so how do you like the 5HDI I had an elite 3x but the 5HDI just got discontinued and I picked one up for $299 I have everything wired up just waiting on my mighty mounts to arrive today so I can place it.. any clear difference when fishing salt vs freshwater? can you tell a difference in marking a largemouth vs a striper .. I really haven't used one much
                    I'm very happy with the 5HDI. There is a setting to change depending on what kind of water you are on, IIRC "clear water" = salt, freshwater = fresh. Would have to look at the manual or fire up the unit to remember for sure...I haven't been on freshwater for over 18 months. Size of the arch gives an idea for the size of the fish, fish finders reflect off of something to put a images on the screen, for fish it "sees" the air bladder, bigger fish bigger reflection from that air bladder...if the fish has one, not all fish do...like flat fish (flounder).
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      I have the same FF. It's a fine unit.

I think you’ll find that in a kayak its major benefit is not marking fish but giving you other statistical and visual data.

I rarely mark fish in the shallow water I prefer fishing. But I see bottom contours, structure and depths and that information helps me find and catch fish that are not within the cone of vision of my FF.

I have indeed marked fish in deeper waters. The arch marks are unmistakable. I presumed they were stripers given where I was. But I usually don’t carry the appropriate tackle to reach them. On occasion I have trolled in 12 to 15 feet of water and seen a cloud of bait fish on my FF. Sometime strikes are predictable shortly after I pass those clouds. But the major information of importance the FF gave me was the depth of the water I was in, not the cloud.

So I think as you get familiar with your unit you won’t be as much looking for fish as looking for the depths and structures where the fish typically are that day.

I’ve used my Elite 5 HDI in fresh and tidal waters similarly and with the same results.

Good luck.
                      thank you for the reply very informative, i cant wait to give it a go. i had the 3x and it wasn't much for showing detailed structure but it did work for the most part and ive always seen arches just never know what direction theyre in lol so in that aspect i can definitely see the advantage to finding those trees and rocks beneath me and fishing the structure vs the arch... i have a 110gal fish tank at home with a smallmouth and a sunfish and i add structure weekly.. recently i added some slate that made i nice dark cave under some driftwood and the sunfish will actually lay in there nearly horizontal just to stay hidden its remarkable the smallie just hides in my plants or under some driftwood but its awesome... thanks again i look forward to learning more each trip i make out.
                      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        I'm very happy with the 5HDI. There is a setting to change depending on what kind of water you are on, IIRC "clear water" = salt, freshwater = fresh. Would have to look at the manual or fire up the unit to remember for sure...I haven't been on freshwater for over 18 months. Size of the arch gives an idea for the size of the fish, fish finders reflect off of something to put a images on the screen, for fish it "sees" the air bladder, bigger fish bigger reflection from that air bladder...if the fish has one, not all fish do...like flat fish (flounder).
                        thank you, as for flounder they are my favorite and i knew that's one fish i would not be able to mark when i come that way lol what a shame. thanks for the reply on the settings ill have to remember to change them between trips. what type of battery are you running yours on and what type of life do you get out of it. i purchased a 12v 12ah battery for those days i want to run my insight mapping stuff
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

thank you, as for flounder they are my favorite and i knew that's one fish i would not be able to mark when i come that way lol what a shame. thanks for the reply on the settings ill have to remember to change them between trips. what type of battery are you running yours on and what type of life do you get out of it. i purchased a 12v 12ah battery for those days i want to run my insight mapping stuff
                          I have a 9ah, not happy with it. I have (had) a 12ah that I really liked because of the run time, but it got damaged when my charger didn't turn off, and over charged it. I'm going to get another 12ah this spring. With the 9ah, I'm lucky to get 5 hours of run time, I'm guessing that battery is defective. With the 12ah it would run my Elite-5 all day, longest time on the water was 10 hours.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Wow im really happy i went with it thanks $27 on amazon!!
                            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                            X