No announcement yet.

Rocket Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowpokey, sorry my statement was a bit misleading, I use 100% acetone that I get a Lowes, polish remover is 50% acetone and 50% girly stuff. I usually remove the primer after the glue has set. I use a -0- steel wool and elbow grease to clean the PVC. Never tried to remove it after it has melted into the plastic.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
      Cowpokey, sorry my statement was a bit misleading, I use 100% acetone that I get a Lowes, polish remover is 50% acetone and 50% girly stuff. I usually remove the primer after the glue has set. I use a -0- steel wool and elbow grease to clean the PVC. Never tried to remove it after it has melted into the plastic.
      Gotcha. I'm used to the house being full of girly (wife and two daughters) stuff I over looked the obvious. LOL

I picked up some red Krylon (for plastic), going to give it a coat of paint...but not tonight.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Added some more pieces today. I've been wanting to add a flag to my kayak, since all the kewl kidz have a flag of some type. I added another "T" to the bottom of one of my pass through rod holders in the center, then put an elbow to turn it up, put in a reduction (1-1/4" to 1/2") coupling and screwed the tube my flag mast will slide into.

I like the state and US flags that folks have, but figured I needed something different, and this one was less expensive. They have a small selection of 12"x18" flags (4 or 5) at BPS, the US flags are $20-25, MD flag is $16, a Jolly Roger for $11, or the one I picked up for $11.

I used a mailbox marker (I think that's what they called it at Lowes) for the mast. It's 4' long, flo-yellow fiberglass with a reflective sticker around the top section. I used some large snap swivels to hang the flag.

Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Nice!!!!!!
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

LOL
            Good one Cowpokey! I haven't seen anyone with a beer flag yet.

Cheers!
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Deleted by author
              Last edited by Cowpokey; 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Cool. Now you just need one in your hand. Isn't that why you got a peddle yak?

Used to be a fisherman would run up flags of the type of fish he caught that day. Don't see that much anymore.

Sent from my PalmPilot
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I actually haven't had a beer on the kayak...yet.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Used the rocket launcher again today, but first time with the flag. I can't think of anything that would improve it, when it comes to function. Adding on the extra pieces for the flag mount didn't effect the rod holders at all. I did end up needing to put some weight on the bottom hooks of the flag; the flag pole leans back some, having the bottom clip free floating on the mast let the clip ride up to the top of the mast and twist the clips together. Dug a 3/8 oz weight out of my tackle box; problem solved.

So after getting back from fishing and washing all the salt off of everything, it was time to "pretty up" the rocket launcher with a rattle can of Kylon red...it's very bright.

It actually leans back a little more than this; the kayak is on my cart and the bow is sitting on the grass.

Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

nice work.. just curious can you still get a milk crate behind you?

Comment

Yeah, there's plenty of room
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Really a Great looking job! Started to prefab mine a bit today till the Bugs started to bite! How well does the pipe insulation float with the rods on them? I picked up two pieces of it today at home depot when I got home the cashier left two 4-way fittings at the register instead of in the bag. RRRRR! another trip to the Annapolis Man Toy Store!

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
                            Really a Great looking job! Started to prefab mine a bit today till the Bugs started to bite! How well does the pipe insulation float with the rods on them? I picked up two pieces of it today at home depot when I got home the cashier left two 4-way fittings at the register instead of in the bag. RRRRR! another trip to the Annapolis Man Toy Store!
                            I haven't tested the floats, I cut them 8" long, because that's what the ones they sell at BPS are in length.

Look forward to seeing what design you come up with for your rocket launcher.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Nice setup. What's the foam around the rod for, I assume floatation device? How did u secure the PVC to scupper or maybe a snug fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Deverall View Post
                                Nice setup. What's the foam around the rod for, I assume floatation device? How did u secure the PVC to scupper or maybe a snug fit?
                                Yes, floatation for the rods in case they fall overboard. The PVC fits in the molded in rod holders, the angles of them keep it snug...it has a good "pop" when I pull it out.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X