Live lining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live lining question

Do you guy blindly drop the bait down behind the piling? Or use your fish finder to locate the fish first before drop down the bait?

Thanks
    Khanh

Its a blind drop most times for me. Often there's so much debris by pilings (at the bay bridge at least) that the ff screen is a big blur at the bottom. If I dont get hits on a couple passes on each side...on to the next. My best day didn't show much of anything on the screen...
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I didn't see anything around the pilings on Monday either. Of course, I didn't get any bites either...so that doesn't prove anything.

When I went between the pilings, the screen would get full of interference, and the FF would claim it was 10' deep. When I was outside of the pilings, it would go back to normal.

What size circle hook does everyone use? I used a 9ish inch WP for LLing bait Monday, and it looked like my 4/0 circle hook was on the small side...with that big of a bait.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        I didn't see anything around the pilings on Monday either. Of course, I didn't get any bites either...so that doesn't prove anything.

When I went between the pilings, the screen would get full of interference, and the FF would claim it was 10' deep. When I was outside of the pilings, it would go back to normal.

What size circle hook does everyone use? I used a 9ish inch WP for LLing bait Monday, and it looked like my 4/0 circle hook was on the small side...with that big of a bait.
        I used 5/0 hook but I think 4/0 is fine too. I think the trick is to let the striper take the bait and run before you reel it in

Comment

I use a 5/0 gamkotsu octopus hook (red). Spot are much easier to eat than a pointy old perch( unless you are a human that is). I fish a open bail holding the line lightly in my left hand. when the bait starts to dance I get ready to release the line. When line starts to run off i release and wait for the pause. As soon as line starts again I pull tight.
          This is just a theory that I happen to believe- A rockfish will attack a baitfish from behind and mash it as he swims, he then slows and spins it head first to swallow it. he then swims away. the second run is the time to hook him.pull tight too early and youll either pull the bait from his mouth or pull the hook from the bait. just a theory,never witnessed it,but it seems to hold true.

Comment

It actually is shallower between the pilings because there is a concrete cross support underwater
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I think you're right gillplate but it's much easier with a baitrunner
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, although I did prove earlier this year that you can live line perch successfully for striper, I think 9" is a little too big, although it seems they hit spot that size just fine.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

If you plan to keep your striper for the table live lining, use a treble hook, they don't usually miss
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I honestly think Striper don't care about spot or perch. I caught the striper using perch that day. If you drop a meal right in front of the striper, I don't think its gonna complain.

I definitely agree on the bait runner, and let the striper take the bait and run.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      Cowpokey, although I did prove earlier this year that you can live line perch successfully for striper, I think 9" is a little too big, although it seems they hit spot that size just fine.
                      I thought 9" was too big also, but I'm new at this live lining thing.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        I thought 9" was too big also, but I'm new at this live lining thing.
                        I prefer 6" bait for live line as well but sometimes you don't have any. Here ISNA couple more tips that I read online that will help live line:

1. Use bait runner reel, circle hook
                        2. Let the fish run with bait before you start reeling it in
                        3. Drop the bait right on the piling

That's all I got, feel free to add in some more everyone

Comment

I think you're right gillplate but it's much easier with a baitrunner
                          I actually use a baitrunner D 4000 mainly. I still use the open bail ,until I need to paddle back to reposition, than I engage the bait runner while I paddle.I Just like to feel it I guess.

Comment

Gotcha, I like to hear that ZZZINNNNGGG!
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I agree that a hungry rockfish will eat any bait he can fit in his mouth, however I believe a less than hungry rockfish will probably eat a nice soft finned bait such as a spot before he would take a white perch. somedays they are picky.

Comment

Working...
                              X