how can I fish a bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I fish a bridge?

hey everybody, I'm basically just a smallmouth and largemouth fishermen and was wondering the techniques/rigs/bait etc. used to catch any sort of bridge. I usually launch at deer creek on the Susquehanna and always see the bridge downriver and wonder if it holds any fish. also was wondering about the bay bridge since it seems to be extremely productive and how to fish that effectively. thanks in advance!!

From what I have seen on this forum Shady is the master of the bridges.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

It all depends on whether your yak can be maneuvered without using your paddle. If you have a hobie, propel or motor driven yak, you can jig the pilings without having to put the rod down to reposition or fend off the pilings. I guess if there is no current you can do it in a regular yak but, if there is no current, there usually aren't any bites either.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

HotemB15, here is a link from last fall. One of our members jigging the railroad bridge at Jean Roberts:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=jean+roberts

I did really well last fall at the RR bridge on the Bush River in Edgewood. I have a few posts from last fall also if you do a search. I try really hard to fish the Bush River in the summer, but it's just not worth until October-December. I never tried jigging the RR bridge in Havre de Grace but I would think it would be the same tactics as the Bay Bridge, minus the current.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I love them and fish bridges at least once a week, usually more. You do not need a hobie, but it would definitely make it easier for beginners.

Comment

Ha, I'm not a master... but I've had some success. You generally want to position right next to or just below the down current piling and then cast above the up current piling and work the lure back off the bottom. The key is to pick a jig heavy enough that you are able to feel it bouncing along the bottom as you reel and jig it back. Sometimesthe fish are suspended though and youll want to bring the lure back in the middle of the water column.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

any specific lures you'd suggest? and thanks for the info already

Comment

Bkds, gulp swimming mullets, zman paddlers, jerkshad. Etc etc And if it ain't chartreuse its no use
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

thanks shady i might put those to the test tomrrow, wish me luck!!
                  Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  Bkds, gulp swimming mullets, zman paddlers, jerkshad. Etc etc And if it ain't chartreuse its no use

Comment

Good luck don't forget live lining works too
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good luck don't forget live lining works too
                      my favorite way to fish, I don't need to worry about color, presentation, etc.

Comment

Hmmmm....

What about electric chicken?
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

If you're targeting black bass don't forget the old jig n pig! I have great success with them doing exactly what shady said- position yourself downstream of the pilings, cast up and work the jig back bouncing it along the bottom and through cover. I like football heads and the zoom chunk trailers and only black/blue
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X