Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for Fishfinder assistance

Hey all-

Looking to rig my FeelFree Lure with a fish finder and trying to decide on one is giving me a headache. I fish lots of Reservoirs, so I really wan to be able to identify structure. DSI, Sonar, Side imaging....its endless. I don't need a GPS this I know.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of looking for something with multiple options?

Originally posted by SeaBass77 View Post
    Hey all-

Looking to rig my FeelFree Lure with a fish finder and trying to decide on one is giving me a headache. I fish lots of Reservoirs, so I really wan to be able to identify structure. DSI, Sonar, Side imaging....its endless. I don't need a GPS this I know.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of looking for something with multiple options?
    Ever fished with GPS? It's an amazing tool, unless you only cast to shore structure...then I can understand not needing it.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Having a GPS is great if your fishing a tournament you've never fished before and u have no clue how to get back to launch.. or if there's a long creek right around thencorner.. the GPS gives you an idea of which way you want to head first
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I started out with a basic black and white FF. When it stopped working, I initially planned to replace it with the same thing, maybe in color. Some of the snaggedline members urged me to spend more and get a color FF/GPS. I am very glad I did that. I use both sonar and GPS on nearly every trip, either individually or in split screen mode. I also like getting constant data on real-time speed, total distance covered, etc. My GPS has a track feature that draws a line everywhere I went. If I catch a fish in one area, I can easily move back to that area to fish again.

Another consideration is screen size. Many snaggedline members are young and have good eyesight. They can probably get away with a less expensive 4" screen. However, for those of us who are older, our vision is not so sharp. I use 5" screens on both my kayak and center console.

I do not have down scan or side scan on my units -- just standard sonar. That meets my needs for tidal water fishing.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I dont fish tournaments but in thinking it over males swnse to mark favorite spots and where I caught fish. Lowrance elite 4hdi looks decent

Comment

Newbie looking for Fishfinder assistance

GPS becomes a big deal when fishing where landmarks can't get you close enough. Fishing over a suspended school of crappie in the middle of Tridelphia, or a school of striper two miles from shore on the bay.

We've found schools of each that had us continually catching fish for over an hour. We could have been successful fishing blind in those times, but it is so much easier and more productive it is hard to believe; until you do it yourself.

It's another tool.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey's got it right spend the extra and get GPS, Don't do what I did and get a fish finder and now am look for a fish finder /gps. Cost a lot more that way.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Elite 4 HDI is the one I have, great unit, it is worth it.

When I add another kayak to the fleet; I will be getting a color FF/GPS to go on it too.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                X