Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jug Bay - Patuxent

Hi All,

I have a buddy who lives in Upper Marlboro and I'm thinking about taking him out kayaking for his first time.
    Does anyone have experience kayaking (and fishing) Jug Bay?
    I'm wondering what the launch point, parking, and fishing is like there.
    I'm hopeful it will be similar to launching at the Slavins boat ramp at Mattawoman Creek.

Thanks for any experiences or photos people are able to share.

Tom

Tom,

I went about a year ago. I didn't have long on the water, but it is a easy launch. Much less crowded than Slavins.

http://cymbulapiscator.blogspot.com/...ent-river.html
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Thanks Nitefly. Your blog posts are great with cool photos too.
      Jug Bay looks a lot like Mattawoman from your photos. I'm not very interested in catfish or white perch, so hopefully some bass or snakeheads would play.

Comment

I go there often, as it is quite close to my house. There are two places to launch; the first left into the park entrance or go past the entrance about 3/4 of a mile and take a left ( no choice, the road ends) and follow the road to the launch. The entrance has a ramp and fishing dock. Take a left up the river about 1/2 mile and there is a very deep hole. Plus, it is beautiful anywhere in Jugs Bay. Have fun!
        Oh, but from what I heard there are no snakeheads in the Patuxent...yet. Not sure if this is true. Big carp, bass, perch, some stripers have been caught, crappie. Humongous catfish, which, even if you are not fond of them they are fun to fight and it's better than being skunked.
        Last edited by Pc4sun; 08-19-2014, 09:47 PM.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

The 2 launches Peggy is talking about are Jackson's Landing & Selby's Landing. Both are free for cartop folks, $5 daily-use pass( buy at the Visitor's Ctr)if you use a trailer, or $25 for the annual pass. There are snakeheads but not in the numbers like Mattawoman or Potomac. LMBass, crappie, wp, sunnies, cats. Beautiful scenery, easy launches.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Thanks Nitefly. Your blog posts are great with cool photos too.
            Jug Bay looks a lot like Mattawoman from your photos. I'm not very interested in catfish or white perch, so hopefully some bass or snakeheads would play.
            Thanks! I need to get out there for a morning launch sometime. It's 25 minutes closer to me than the Mattawoman, so I look forward to your report.
            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Good area to yak and fish all year round.

http://patuxentwatertrail.org/pointo...nt-river-park/

Go upstream and veir left to Western Branch and you will find a beautiful area to paddle and fish for a long way.

YP and WP runs at the hole past the tub in Jan and Feb can be awesome if caught at the right time. Plenty of Catfish and Stripers too.
              Deadwood (Dave)
              West River & Miles River
              2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
              If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                Thanks! I need to get out there for a morning launch sometime. It's 25 minutes closer to me than the Mattawoman, so I look forward to your report.
                Ditto that. Getting Mattawoman type action and scenery and saving a 1 hour round trip sounds great.
                Does that area have the pad fields for good froggin action?
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I haven't been there, but it looks like it has spadderdock pads to me.

Comment

If you go up river from jug bay you'll find plenty of pads. I used to go largemouth bass fishing there all the time and I've also caught a lot of catfish there!! If you can catch the outgoing tide around all the pads it'll bring the bass out into the main river because most of the spots were they feed during high tide get very shallow and you can catch them in numbers!! Buzz baits worked best for me!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X