Question about scuppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about scuppers

I picked up my first SOT this past Saturday from Delaware Paddle Sports. I bought a used Jackson Cuda 12. My question is, other than wanting to keep your feet dry, is there ever a situation where you would always want scupper plugs in?
    ---------------------------------
    Mike Hossom
    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Only if you're worried about dropping small enough to fall through...might be safer to keep that handful of priceless diamonds in a sealed bag, than admiring them while kayaking.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Fishing in the bay you really should never use them in order to keep the drainage open in case of waves crashing over the yak... it happens way more than you would think
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm 5' 11" 215 lbs and no water comes up through my scupper holes.
        Was out in a little chop this past weekend and had a little splash up but didn't feel the need for plugs.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Ocean Kayak makes Scupper Valves. I use them in my Torque.
          They let water out but block it from coming in. ACK says they fit all Necky SOTs and most Ocean Kayak SOTs.
          I don't know if they would fit a Jackson.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            Ocean Kayak makes Scupper Valves. I use them in my Torque.
            They let water out but block it from coming in. ACK says they fit all Necky SOTs and most Ocean Kayak SOTs.
            I don't know if they would fit a Jackson.
            +1

Comment

I was out on a choppy day once and a wake from a boat snuck up on me. I had plugs in and my SOT was full, like a bathtub and I had to pull the cords to let it drain. I do not use them any more. Sometimes when its choppy you get little water chutes on the scuppers, but the water drains right back out.

Plus, you should expect to get your feet when when kayaking. How are you going to launch without getting your feet wet?
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

These are the answers I was expecting. However, you never know if there is going to be some strange situation that had not occurred to you in the past. I certainly don't mind getting my feet wet. On hot days it feels good.

Cowpokey - I leave the diamonds at home when I'm on the yak
                ---------------------------------
                Mike Hossom
                Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by mhossom View Post
                  Cowpokey - I leave the diamonds at home when I'm on the yak
                  I thought us plastic pirates were supposed to have some treasure on board at all times?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I thought getting wet was part of the enjoyment. No to scupper plugs.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

My Revo has two scupper holes near my seat.

On calm days (little to no chop on the water) I keep them closed. That ensures no water seepage under my seat.

On windy days with lots of waves and the potential for water to come over the gunnels I open the scuppers. Otherwise I find myself sitting in a puddle of water.

Those scupper stops under my seat are threaded. I've learned that it's not wise to twist them tight. If they're cinched too tight they're a bit hard to open while you're seated if water conditions change and you need to let water out.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The bottom of my seat has a little moisture every time I take it off of my outback to load up. Not once has water gotten to my backside though the scupper holes under the seat.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Well... it sort of depends on what type of kayak you have....
                          So you are going to have to figure out what works for you and the conditions that prevail.

My little tug boat getting wet is just par for the course.

The scuppers under my seat I leave open because the seat is in a "well" and it has to drain or I am sitting in a pool of water.

The ones under my feet I plug. The ones under my knee's I plug.
                          The ones in the cargo in the back I leave open.

I am always taking on water... if it gets too much I use the sponge method to get the water out.
                          If it gets way too much I pull the plugs... deal with the water spouts until I get enough water out... and sponge the rest out.

At Romancoke a couple of weeks ago... with the waves... it was an hourly task... thats just the way it is for me with my little kayak.

As for the actual plugs... well there are lots of options... I had originally purchased what you can find at Dicks and West Marine... the big "blue" looking plugs... put they would pop out and didn't work...

Doing some research on the the internet... I found a bunch of info about the old school guys using foam "practice" golf balls.

They work GREAT !!... I had to shave mine done with a sharp knife... Drill a hole in them... and run cord through..... etc.

As far as to not getting wet in the hull area... as long as you don't turtle... I think you are ok :-)
                          Then again... there is always golf...

Comment

Working...
                          X